Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help Please - When to feed a lamb milk after Bloat?  (Read 2259 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Help Please - When to feed a lamb milk after Bloat?
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:59:16 am »
Further to my other post, I just need to know: When can I give the lamb that went down with Bloat his next milk feed - and how much?

His last bottle feed was about 3:30pm yesterday (he has only had electrolytes this morning. Due another dose later this evening).

Been to vet but he was out, so couldn't ask.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Help Please - When to feed a lamb milk after Bloat?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 02:12:32 pm »
I am sorry I have no idea. However I do have an alternative remedy for bloat, a syringe or 2 full of olive oil.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 02:57:38 pm »
I would probably carry on as normal?  Or maybe just reduce the amount of milk initially until you know he can take it?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 06:38:47 pm »
I'd usually keep them on electrolytes for 24 hours, then give a small amount of milk with some live yoghurt mixed in, and a bit of oil, see how he does.  If that seems ok, and he's burping and digesting ok, keep feeding him small feeds of that for another 24 hours, then try him with just milk, and gradually increase quantity per feed / reduce number of feeds.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:37:36 pm »
If he is 5 weeks old and eating creep I would probably not give milk again, we wean our tame lambs at 6 weeks although this year I did wean a few at 5 weeks due to losing one to bloat bang on 5 weeks old, they were none worse off and are strapping young lambs now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS