Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Putting dry sows together  (Read 4117 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Putting dry sows together
« on: April 12, 2008, 04:15:23 pm »
Hi all - I really need to free up one of my pig pens and wonder what disasters I may be in for if I put the 2 recently farrowed sows  :pig: :pig: in together  :o :o  They both have just one piglet on them now and which I need to wean off (hence the need for a spare pen) so that they can be fed for fattening; leaving these 2 ladies to dry off.   Obviously one is going to have to share her pen with a 'stranger', although they used to be in adjoining pens and since farrowing have been about 15 feet apart.   What do you reckon?   Will the 'owner'  :pig: allow the 2nd sow  :pig: into her ark etc??  :-\ :-\  Never done this before, so I don't want to risk any damage to either of them  ???  Any help, advise, guidance, suggestions etc very much appreciated.    PLUS it would also help us out hugely when we come to transport them all to our new home  ;) Thanks all. ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Putting dry sows together
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 07:11:18 pm »
Is there anyway you can put them together but in a new pen, so that neither has the ownership of the pen.  Remove the piglets first either way.  They will probably fight.  Have plenty of purple wound spray ready, make sure the weaker one can get away and dont worry. 

We recently had to put Hilary in with the boar, his present lady would not give up her favoured position in with him.  In the past Hilary has attempted murder of other sows.  Hilary went in, growled at the less dominant sow who ran off' within minutes the three of them were fine.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 09:55:26 pm »
Well, with a bit of juggling, that might be a possibility - but it would certainly mean  A LOT of too'ing and fro'ing  :-\ but it might be worth the effort - thanks HM :D
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 02:57:44 pm »
I agree with HM - neutral ground would be better. Failing that, put them in areas side by side where they can get used to each other and then take down the partitioning fencing after a couple of days.  Scrapping is normal and sometimes brutal but is does calm down. Spread their food around so they have space to eat apart. Good luck!  :P

Kate  :pig: :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:08:37 pm »
Thanks all. :pig: :D
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS