Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blue waterpipe and fittings  (Read 4049 times)

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
Blue waterpipe and fittings
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:54:40 pm »
I am thinking of extending and upgrading our water supply to fields and garden. There seem to be quite a number of makes of blue pipe (MDPE pipe) and fittings. Some reviews of some of the makes suggest that it is worth avoiding the cheapest fittings because of a likelihood of leaks. I really don't want to be repairing and replacing all the time. Does anybody with any experience of these fittings have any recommendations of brands that are reliable because I am finding it difficult to get a clear idea of the best ones to go for.
Thanks in advance
Simon

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Blue waterpipe and fittings
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:59:29 pm »
ooo interesting i was stood looking at a display of them earlier thinking these look ok but are much cheaper than the ones i used previously (which were very good but very expensive)...

likewise if people have an opinion does the actual brand of the blue pipe matter?

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:11:26 pm »
What were the good expensive ones you used bloomer? I cannot imagine there is much difference in the actual pipes (but maybe I'm wrong)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:33:26 pm »
Simon,

I can't give much info on different makes, but what I can say is make sure you use the strengthening inserts, and try to avoid having any bends on the pipes as they connect into the fittings. IME it's the lateral strain where you've had to force the pipe to bend into a fitting that causes the leaks.

Also invest in a proper set of ratchetting cutters. This makes it easy to get a nice clean end on the pipe, which is half the battle really.

HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 11:23:52 pm »
I use pipestock.com for all my alkathene needs  ;) They're good, reasonably priced AND send you a free tape measure every time you order (can never have enough tape measures in this house !)  :thumbsup:
Ditto Womble on having good inserts, I use a junior hacksaw to get nice tidy pipe ends.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 08:49:40 am »
Thanks Karen and David for these comments they are really useful. before looking into all this I did not realise the need for inserts and I am sure what you say about using the proper cutter is important. The info about not having bends in pipe and not forcing is I am sure critical too. I do wonder when I see in reviews that people have had problems with leaks whether they have been ignoring these things and that's why they are getting problems. If this is the case then the cheaper ones may indeed be fine. I saw that company on the internet Karen and it is good to hear you have not had any difficulties with them.

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 09:38:30 am »
Hi All

Silly thought  :innocent:

What system does your local farm supplies sell the most of?

Farmers will look for the best results at the best price.

SV

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 10:25:48 am »
I'll concur with much of the advice offered, especially;
1. The use of a decent pair of non-crush ratchet pipe cutters.
2. The use of inserts.
3. Ensure there is no strain on any fittings, especially near bends.
4. www.pipestock.com for everything you need if you don't have a local stockist of pipe and fittings otherwise, use your local ag merchant for fittings.
5. Keep a range of connectors in stock as spares, for 'emergency' situations. If you've got them, you'll never need them. If you haven't, you'll wish you had! :)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 11:44:28 am »
I buy the pushfit fittings from Toolstation. They are twice the price of their standard fittings but are so easy to work with.

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 11:15:00 pm »
A can of silicone spray (not wd40) will also make it easier to make sure you have pushed home the pipe into the joint properly. On no account tighten with grips as this weakens the joint and invariably splits the threaded cap.Tighten hand tight build up the pressure and tighten joints again if necessary.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 08:29:13 am »
Thanks everybody for advice - I have got some good info to work with here

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS