Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: replanting 1st early potatoes  (Read 3231 times)

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
replanting 1st early potatoes
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:24:09 pm »
Is it possible to store early potatoes for the following year?  I tried last year and and they don't look too pretty.  Alternatively, maybe I could plant some of the main crop potatoes earlier and grow them as earlies?

Any opinions would be much appreciated as I just got back from paying for seed potatoes (1st + 2nd earlies) and I don't like it  >:( >:( >:(

Cheers guys

EDIT: I've just had another thought.  Anyone tried re planting some straight after lifting and leaving them till the following year.  I guess the slugs would probably have a field day but I remember northfifeduckling saying they kept some in the ground till January so who knows ( not rhetorical  ;D )
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:28:47 pm by oink »

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
Re: replanting 1st early potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 03:54:23 pm »
I don't really know, but worth try to see what happens! Sorry, not much help I know!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 05:28:21 pm »
I've left some in before. Usually they come up nicely and I transplant them to a place where I want them. This year might be not so good for that as it was so cold, we'll see.  :&>

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 04:11:34 pm »
last year my earlies were lifted last week in june. 2nd earlies 2 weeks later. i have saved all my seed and just replanted them all yesterday.
i store mine in nets under an archway, which gets a through draft and they manage to chit themselves for planting.. makes life a bit easier so there are not boxes lying every where to get wee shoots :chook: :)

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:26:23 am »
That's interesting dizzy1pig, don't they get wet and sunlight on them?

northfifeduckling - could you let me know how this years are?

Cheers all, I really am determined not to buy my earlies every year so I'm gonna try all the possibilities this year and see which works best

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:58:11 am »
oink, I just found one in the compost heap which looks good - will go with the eaters, lol.
The ones in the bathtub had all turned into mush, won't try growing tatties in there again. From most other containers they were edible before the second really bad round of frost. I'll have to wait what comes up in the ground, no sight of anything yet. Not even the rhubarb is in the mood yet! The only sign of life is the forgotten garlic, sorrel and a tiny rocket, lol  :&>

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 01:49:56 pm »
stone archway with door on one side and open arch to other.
no sun and not wet get through wind when door is open.

and on friday planted all the tatties, today have done shallots and onions
and the beans are ready to get put out to

found some of last years when rotovating and they all ok

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS