Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wind Turbines?  (Read 18764 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Wind Turbines?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 05:30:36 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Dodger!  You sound pretty clever at diy stuff. I'm sure there will be people on here picking your brains!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 05:54:08 pm »
Also a welcome to the forum from me.

Like you, we have heated our home almost exclusively with wood burning boilers for the last 20+ years.  In fact this afternoon my son has just finished splitting another ton or so of logs using an industrial Ferguson tractor with a hydraulic splitter.  At this time of year we try to build up a stock for winter - probably about 10 tones are required to see us through.

I've thought of getting a wind generator but the capital cost puts me off, and its very difficult to compete with a fuel (wood) that we can get for virtually nothing - just the effort of cutting & splitting.

Enjoy the group & please share your experiences with us.

John

old geezer

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 11:20:18 am »
Hi John,

very interesting to hear that you have a hydraulic log splitter on your Ferguson, I have toyed with one myself but I have not yet found one that has a reasonable price tag, my reason for considering one is that I have about 20 massive pine trees around my property, about 10 of which are massive and on the west side blocking the warm winds, if I can get to cutting them down I will think very seriously about one, I think at 67 I may bow out with the axes on all that lot, what make is yours, and was it very reasonable in price, I have considered fabricating one myself but the parts separate are more expensive, I have fabricated other tools for the ferguson like a crane off the hydraulics and a towing frame to tow a trailer with a ball hitch and they worked out at a very good price, but a log splitter I will have to buy sadly, good health to all dodger.

HappyHippy

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 12:02:17 pm »
I've thought of getting a wind generator but the capital cost puts me off, and its very difficult to compete with a fuel (wood) that we can get for virtually nothing - just the effort of cutting & splitting.

There are companies out there who will install and maintain windturbines on your property for no outlay by yourself. Some will provide you will free power and some will give you a regular income. I think there's an incentive at the moment where you get an initial payment just for agreeing to have one installed. I had been speaking to Johnathan from Solarventus http://www.solarventus-energy.co.uk/ who was very helpfull, but in the end my Dad decided to go with a company who were more local to us. If only he'd done it BEFORE he planted 130 acres of trees and installed the wood burning stove and central heatiing  ::)
Worth looking into though  ;)

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 01:38:50 pm »
Hi John,

very interesting to hear that you have a hydraulic log splitter on your Ferguson,

Hi Dodger,

I've added a new topic on Log Splitters

Cheers,

John

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS