Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cutting older oak branches  (Read 2962 times)

littleacorn

• Joined Jan 2011
Cutting older oak branches
« on: May 31, 2014, 09:11:32 pm »
 :wave:  We have some large branches cut from an oak tree a couple of years ago, around 4" to over 15" diameter.  For many reasons we haven't got around to cutting them into firewood until now, and obviously the wood is now much harder.  Our chainsaw isn't a heavy duty one and is not capable of cutting through even the smaller diameter ones.  We don't really want to buy a more expensive / heavy duty chainsaw but were thinking of getting a secondhand saw - the kind that is run off the pto on the tractor - would this do the job? Thanks

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
Re: Cutting older oak branches
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 09:18:23 pm »
Most chainsaws will cut through that size branch, the only reason they wont is that the chain hasnt been sharpened properly.

littleacorn

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 05:14:25 pm »
The chainsaw is only a few months old and has only been used a handful of times, how often do they need sharpening?  It cuts through 3-4" round fencing posts easily but started to smoke when we tried using it on these oak branches. Thanks

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 05:25:34 pm »
i found cheap chainsaws come with cheap chains (not very sharp)

i was always gripeing that it wouldn't cut anything bigger than 4 inches of soft wood. i tried a couple of replacement chains from the same manufacturer same problem.

So last time i found a good supplier of quality Oregon Chain it fits my saw and bar, I am now 2-3 large tree 12-16 inch diameter trees felled and logged up, and its only been sharpened once, its much better!!!

Oh and sappy pine trees kill chains the sap gunks up the chain and attracts every bit of dirt and stuff...

I do need a better saw but only because i'm cutting more and more timber, and my 100 quid saw is now really starting to wear our!!!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 05:41:28 pm »
plus you can also dull a saw in seconds by getting unlucky and grounding it or hitting a load of dirt and grit in a branch that has been dragged. If in doubt slick it up.. also check that once you think you;ve sharpened it is actually cuts straight.
A properly sharpened chain will pull itself through the wood.

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 05:46:57 pm »
Another thing to check is that enough chain oil is making it to the chain; the branches you are cutting should be no match for any chainsaw.

Also, if the chainsaw is smoking from the front (chain end) it could be that the chain is too tight; I always make sure mine has enough slack so I can lift it away from the bar but not far enough that you see the point of the tooth.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

littleacorn

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 03:11:24 pm »
Super  ;D  Thanks for all your replies.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 08:55:05 pm »
as abobe but -
However - I guess that you have irregular shaped oak branches and may be cutting them below knee height or maybe lifting them up onto a cutting inverted A frame.
make sure that the saw comes down vertically even though the branch will not be horizontal. Some saws do not like to cut on the slant.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 09:36:08 pm »
....make sure that the saw comes down vertically even though the branch will not be horizontal. Some saws do not like to cut on the slant.

That's interesting - I got a Stihl on the advice of others (Albeit the smallest, cheapest model) and it cuts up, down and sideways with equal facility; with the fuel tank full I've yet to find a direction it won't cut.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS