Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie!  (Read 9540 times)

Couttsb

• Joined May 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
Newbie!
« on: May 29, 2014, 02:51:24 pm »
After years of keeping hens and growing veg, it's only the arrival of 6 orphan lambs that makes me finally feel like a smallholder :-) And why didn't anyone tell me that when I thought I was going to have a Kate Humble/Lambing Live/Countryfile moment serenely feeding little lambs that it was actually going to be like feeding babies high on acid..........!  :excited: :sheep: :chook:

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:58:31 pm »
Baptism of fire eh !! I started with 6 orphans, once you have learnt to hold three bottles in your hands and one between your legs you will be nearly there.!! If you have been advised, you probably have a 4 bottle holder or one of those fancy help yourself feeders for them. Good luck, enjoy and try too keep sane !!!! :roflanim:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 06:07:23 pm »
Yep and that bottle that you attempt to firmly clasp between your legs results in bruises because the little toads aren't gentle at all!!
welcome  :wave:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:55:54 pm »
Hi Enjoy !  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :love:

Couttsb

• Joined May 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 02:03:54 pm »
Whoa, I thought I was doing well holding 2 bottles, didn't even think about utilising my knees. Fortunately have recruited the children who think it's all rather fab! Can I ask how many weeks old your flock have been when you guys have tended to wean? Farmer they came from said they carry on bottle feeding for about 12 weeks. Thanks for your replies! :)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 04:42:20 pm »
12 weeks!! he must have a very cheap source of milk!    6 weeks is generally long enough as long as they are eating plenty of creep pellets.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 05:23:21 pm »
About 6-8 weeks here depending on how well they took to creep/grass/weather etc!  Not sure if breed makes any difference but ours are all texel cross and big chunky things quite quickly.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 10:46:54 pm »
I have done 6-8 weeks but when I had a small herd of milking goats, if I had spare milk I would continue for longer. If you haven't pulled your hair out or the children got less interested then you will probably wean sooner rather than later. I hasten to add that after 6wks they were not having 4bottles a day though. Good luck and enjoy   :sunshine:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 10:56:51 pm »
 :wave: welcome from Shropshire.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 11:20:56 pm »
Welcome from Caithness and just look at it as good practice for next year when they may be your own pet lambs! :)
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Couttsb

• Joined May 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 06:01:42 pm »
Thanks guys and gals :-)

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 08:11:25 pm »
Hello & Welcome :)

Littleyam

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 05:17:14 am »
Welcome - sounds like you have your hands full! Pics please.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 10:09:50 am »
Hello and welcome from :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS