Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted horse drawn cart for 15hh cob hopefully tipping for farm work  (Read 2926 times)

Smokey the Purring Cat

• Joined Mar 2014
:horse: :horse:

Hello I live in Northamptonshire and I am looking to purchase a small  horse drawn cart suitable for a 15hh cob to pull around the fields. Mainly to be used for collection of horse manure and after washing out delivery of hay to our cattle. Does not need to have a seat or be brightly painted as I will be walking alongside.A tipping one would be brilliant. :horse: I found a brilliant one on Dragon Driving but it was going to be to small as it said would suit up to 10.2hh -14hh. My cob is a chunky boy.

I went to the Lamport Countryside show yesterday and met talked to the man giving the Shire Horse display and he has agreed to help me and find harness for my cob with a collar and teach me how to work with my horse. He's local so it will be brilliant. I am really looking forward to it. My aim is to learn to harrow our fields and I would hope may be next summer if all is going well get a Bennington Fun Bug to drive on the Road or a Hillman Twingo ( half the price). Any one have experience of either of these 4 wheel carts?

I thought I would practice first with a muck cart in the fields. I did drive a cart 20 years ago so feeling a little rusty.

So help please in finding my field muck/field cart.( nothing on EBay/preloved or Dragon Driving) Also looking for a full sized breast Collar. ( Cob one I purchased was to small for his broad chest). I am getting advice from the Heavy Horse Expert as to what type and size of collar would suit my horse. Danny (cob) will be visiting him next week.

I have posted previously about my hunt for working horse harness.

Will keep you posted on our progress.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:13:55 pm »
Hello spc , old tip carts are a bit like rocking horse cr*p , very rare . Most will be pushing 100 years old , so i assume you are after a more modern type ?
Still quite rare and a bit pricey even s/h .
I gave up looking in the end . I will be making my own , now i have the gear to connect horse to cart .
I have decided to go old style , wooden cart and wheels . Would making what you want yourself be an option for you ?
You do see the odd home made 'cart' for sale at sales , but the ones i have seen have been a bit iffy to say the least .
Till i get mine made  i will have to carry on with the wheelbarrow and buckets .
I have seen people use exersize carts with a ball hitch fitted , pulling a standard car trailer  .

Smokey the Purring Cat

• Joined Mar 2014
Hello, I hope I have good news- I have just ( an hour ago!) agreed purchase of a restored 1940's Lincolnshire Farm tipping cart of Ebay, 6 foot x 4 foot. I had been searching for months ( 3 times a day checking listings)and not found any apart from those 200 miles away and then not restored. Endless amounts of carriages and exercise carts and traps for sale but not suitable for picking up droppings in the fields. I'd visted 2 museums of rural life and seen very old woodworm examples of the tipping muck cart but really hard to find a working model for sale. The one I am picking up tomorrow or Friday was advertised under garden ornaments! They had it restored as a garden feature but then decided it was to nice to put plants in after all their hours of restoration. Advert said all intact with original wheels and shafts. Really excited. Hoping I can do a few working cart show classes with it. Agreed £450 for it if it is suitable for a working cart. No good to me if the wheel falls of as soon as I hitch up my horse. Has been really hard to find an original tipping farm cart so excited but really hoping I won't be all sad when I see it. The cart has been painted in red. They have stencils for the fancy paint work but did not finish the project. This could become my new hobby. Will try and post pictures when I get it home with Danny my cob. Let me know how you get on with your project of adapting a cart. Sadly although happy to paint I would not know how to start altering creating a tipping cart. Looking forward to my first lesson next week with a local heavy horse enthusiast I found at the weekend giving a shire horse demonstration at a country show. I can't believe I am looking forward to poo picking the paddocks!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 07:12:33 pm »
Brilliant news , i hope all goes well .
I have seen plenty of the wood wormy ones , repaired a few for other people .
 I have plans for a few different types of tipper and now have the wood to make one  seasoning in prep  .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS