Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding dates  (Read 3339 times)

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Breeding dates
« on: May 20, 2014, 02:58:38 pm »
What number of days do you work on for gestation? I am sat looking at an humungous ewe who is on day 157  I usually work my dates on 147 days gestation . There is also no udder development in a ewe who hasn't lambed before  ( shearling) I am begining to wonder if she is actually pregnant...
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Breeding dates
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 03:24:54 pm »
We work on 21 weeks = 147 days too.  But yes, some of them love to hang onto their lambs - don't let them get too comfortable, BH says!

You'd expect a bit of udder development, even in a shearling... when was the tup removed?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 04:03:27 pm »
I have had two this year that definitely looked in-lamb... and they still do  ;), weeks after everybody else has finished and way too late for them to be lambing....

If she is a first-timer (lamb or gimmer?) she may well NOT be in lamb, especially if no udder.

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 05:34:17 pm »
as already said check the udders and how big they are as to an indication if she is actually carrying (unless ram had crayon/harness)  and also how close she might be
Cheers Ed

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 05:37:36 pm »
Ok that clinches it,  buddha belly would appear not to be pregnant. Thank you for the confirmation  she can go out with the rest of the flock now  and rough grass only!!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 10:13:48 am »
Earliest I've ever known them lamb is 7 days, latest is 9.  Both years had unusual weather conditions and other local farms had the same experience.  I find the vulva is often a better predictor of late pregnancy than the udder - large, soft and pink looks likely.  Udders vary quite a lot, especially in first-timers. 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:27:59 am »
How many days since the ram was removed though?

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 10:50:16 am »
I go on 145 days and this year nearly all of them delivered right on the allotted date!  Last year I had one go to 155 days though. 

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 06:29:18 pm »
thanks vulva checked and its also looking small. No lamb today  :innocent:

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 07:10:18 am »
If she was marked by the ram or even if you didn't raddle him, she may have lost the lamb after the tup was removed. This happened to me and it is difficult to tell once you start feeding as if she were pregnant and she just gets fatter and fatter!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 11:42:36 am »
yup although as my ewes only have singles i don't generally feed extra unless really necessary and have stopped any extra feed as soon as the grass came in .....shes still huge and no lamb , today shes gone out with the rest on the rough grass!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS