Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice for planting in June.  (Read 2652 times)

Diesel41

• Joined May 2014
Advice for planting in June.
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:18:18 pm »
Hi everyone.
We move onto our smallholding at the beginning of June, so wanted to know what I should be getting in to the ground so we can begin to eat our own veg as soon as possible.
We have a small greenhouse and lots of room for planting.
Any ideas?
Mark and Aly

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Advice for planting in June.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 10:31:19 pm »
Spring cabbages can be sown in July/August for next year's crop. You might still be able to buy some tomato, aubergine and pepper plants for the greenhouse if the garden centres have any left.

Enjoy your smallholding when you get there.  :thumbsup:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 10:51:29 pm »
Along the lines of spring cabbages, I'm about to sow purple sprouting broccoli for next year too.

You can also get potatoes that will still come through for this year - I've got some coming that will go in in June, ready for Christmas eating.

Also fast to crop stuff (especially given that much of my April and May stuff is not very advanced) - carrots, beetroot, peas and beans, lettuce, radishes can be sown from scratch. I've only just planted out tomatoes, sweetcorn, pumpkins, cabbages, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli too so if you can buy plants of those it's worth a go.

Diesel41

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:08:51 pm »
Thank you :-)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:46:54 pm »
I am just so disorganised this year, I am only planting out stuff now anyway!   Got loads of peas and beans to sow yet - the packets say until June - so you should be fine.  Where are you based?  I have waaaay too many tomato plant s...

Diesel41

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 04:24:54 pm »
We're in West Devon!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 05:20:42 pm »
although your a bit late you do have a long growing season down there id get a load of beans/peas/carrots/courgettes in, most should still give you crops this years!!!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 11:54:33 pm »
Bung in some short rows of salad stuff every 10 days  harvest th lettuce and leaf stuff as cut and come again that way you'll only need a few feet of them .

You have about 14 days of sowing almost anything before it gets too warm .

The vegetable expert by DG Hessayan is available in most garden centres , on amazon etc  for around £ 10 . It gives detailed info about most common Uk crops  . There is a brill simple to see individual planting/sowing chart for each crop
 Thwe book seems to be written for a lone from Birmingham to Peterborough   100 miles above the line add a few day's ,  100 miles below it subtract a few days and up in Central Scotland add a week or so to the times . for sowings & planting .

End of season is slightly different,  it comes earlier the further North of the line you go .

Having an up to date one will give you almost all the info you'll need for ten years or so ,
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS