Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Warwickshire  (Read 10473 times)

Cathryn

• Joined Apr 2014
Hello from Warwickshire
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:01:21 pm »
Hi all. :wave:

I moved onto my smallholding (9 acres) 25 years ago. In the beginning we kept sheep, pigs and poultry, followed later by horses and donkeys. As each of the animals met their natural end the menagerie dwindled until I lost my last 2 elderly ponies last April. Initially I felt relief that for the first time in 25 years I'd be able to make holiday plans without having to think about the needs of the animals but now the paddocks and stables look so empty I'm feeling broody (for something with fur or feathers). I've joined TAS hoping for inspiration for what to do next.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello from Warwickshire
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:52:01 am »
Hello and welcome from  :raining: Carnoustie  :wave:

I couldn't imagine this place without livestock of some kind. My parents in law had all sorts of plans when their elderly dogs died - lasted about two months before they got another pup  :)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 02:04:38 pm »
What about goslings?  You can buy them at 2 weeks old at this time of year for £5-£10. They just need a shed or outbuilding to live in and access to plenty of grass to graze and water to drink. They grow steadily throughout the year and then you sell them for the table at Christmas time.

Then you have time for a winter sun holiday in the miserable months of January or February. :)

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 07:46:51 pm »
Hello & Welcome

Could you rent your land out to a newbie small holder who has your interests?  They do all the work you offer the advice and get to see animals / stock on your land but your newbie small holder does all the graft, and mutual friendships blooms?  In fact thats such a good idea, where did you say you stayed? ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS