Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would you buy a small holding with knotweed spreading fast?  (Read 8439 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Would you buy a small holding with knotweed spreading fast?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 10:09:15 pm »
Check with your local environmental health people .. something tells me in the back of my head that they have some useful input. Perhaps access to a Euro fund and chemicals ..

One way I've recently seen by some organic /green gardeners on a TV prog about hitting it hard .
Is clean cutting the stem about 18 inches from the ground and filling the hollow stem with a strong glyphosate solution using a killer spray pump up pack with it coming out of the lance minus any jet attachment ..

Agricultural merchants sell 5 litre packs of a much stronger content far cheaper than the likes of the Big garden centres ..... friendly farmers can be most helpful .

I'd give this a twirl :-
Present the seller with an information pack about knot weed and offer a much lower price to reflect the problem .  If they don't play walk away .

Once you have seven years on the holding without using glyphosates & listed chemicals  etc you can call yourself organic .. sounds good to me

I noticed a few weeks ago on my way past Llangunnor Police station that the LA have treated four or five large road side patches .... possibly in this manner . What ever they have done it's certainly kicked its butt hard .. whether it kills it in one go is another matter .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 07:36:49 am »
You can buy concentrated 5L glyphosate on ebay too.
When I stupidly used willow poles for an espalier frame and they rooted I painted any shoots/leaves with neat glyphosate. It took a few goes over half a season to turn them inert.

If knotweed is hollow then I'd have thought injecting the stems would be better than cutting them and having live material waste to deal with....?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 12:15:16 am »
It was evidently quicker and just as effective to use the pump sprayer less the nozzle to fill the hollow cut stem than to try and use a small bore tube to inject the Roundup into a complete undamaged stem .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS