Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: self righting prolapse  (Read 2253 times)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
self righting prolapse
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:26:20 am »
I've had hens a few years and have enjoyed learning about poultry on here and elsewhere. I'm 'hand-holding' a friend who has recently acquired 4 chooks. She had been thinking about it but at short notice someone else wanted rid of their birds/house etc for nothing so she's slightly in at the deep end.

She has 2 bantams and 2 black rock hydrids. One of the hybrids has prolapsed 3 times but fixed herself within the hour. She has been observed sitting for several hours in the nest box. So it doesn't really seem to be a problem for her. Has anyone else ever had a chook like this? BTW she is the beefiest hen I've handled and also a bit of a bully. Do you think it is the time of year? I haven't asked about the size of the eggs she lays.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: self righting prolapse
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:36:44 am »
Afraid it will only get worse Izzy. It may be going back in on its own at the moment but there will come a time when to doesn't. She needs to go on a wheat only diet to stop her laying for several weeks. As it only contains about 10% protein it is insufficient to support the growth of eggs. It is an old-timers show technique we have used to good effect in the past. The sooner she starts this the better, because if it does come out and stay out your friend will have all the issues of insertion and re-insertion to deal with as well. It may not be successful at a later stage.

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 04:55:22 am »
Thanks CHrisM. We'll keep an eye out.

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:25:35 pm »
The situation has slightly solved itself in the short term by the hen in question going broody. Maybe a rest will do the trick.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS