Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnels for Sheep  (Read 3619 times)

DevonwayLivestock

Polytunnels for Sheep
« on: February 07, 2014, 02:05:49 pm »
Hello,

Apologies if this thread has been done, I am newly registered.

Can who is using polytunnels for sheep please share their experiences, recommendations and also any UK suppliers they know of.

Thank you in advance!

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Polytunnels for Sheep
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:29:49 am »
Hi

First Tunnels claim that their tunnels can be used for sheep, there is information on their website.

SV

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 12:55:46 pm »
Our neighbours use one.  It doesn't have polythene to the ground though - only to the mid height section.  Then they have some sort of wind break netting and pallets around the side.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 08:34:31 pm »
Just saw this.  We have several mini tunnels from First Polytunnels intended for propagation within a bigger poly tunnel. They're about 10ft by 4ft and we cover them with a 4m square tarp and add most of a bale of straw.  The sheep love them - 5 or 6 can get inside each one, and when it's raining they do
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 12:47:03 pm »
Just saw this.  We have several mini tunnels from First Polytunnels intended for propagation within a bigger poly tunnel. They're about 10ft by 4ft and we cover them with a 4m square tarp and add most of a bale of straw.  The sheep love them - 5 or 6 can get inside each one, and when it's raining they do

Any pics of this setup?  Would be interested to see it.

karenc

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 05:29:16 pm »
Sorry should have read down - hadn't realised this was posted.  We know a few people who have used polytunnels for a number of years and are very happy with them.  We have just purchased on but unfortunately the person who was to help my husband put it up has been injured and can no longer help. 

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 09:57:10 am »
my mother and father run a plant nursery for a living and so have lots of poly tunnels of various sizes and one multi span of i think it is 4 spans and they all work great :D 100% dry and wind proof (apart from doors) the plastic covers last well for many years until they eventually rip after many years. my father does wash ti with some chemical that you just spray on the algae dries up and then just blows off in the wind, i believe he does this once a year

Sorry should have read down - hadn't realised this was posted.  We know a few people who have used polytunnels for a number of years and are very happy with them.  We have just purchased on but unfortunately the person who was to help my husband put it up has been injured and can no longer help.
where abouts are you?  i may be able to lend a hand as i have a certain amount of experience in building poly tunnels
Cheers Ed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS