Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shedding sheep and Clic  (Read 2201 times)

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
Shedding sheep and Clic
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:59:49 am »
I have just wormed my ewes after lambing and am now thinking about the next tasks.  I am thinking about putting Clic on the ewes as I had a bad case of fly strike last year despite hoping that they wouldn't be too badly affected.  My question is, when do I put Clic on my Wiltshire Horns who seem to have started shedding their fleeces?  I am presuming that I will need to treat twice this season because of the fact that it only gives 4 months protection but am worried that it won't be effective if they shed after application.  Any thoughts?

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Re: Shedding sheep and Clic
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:31:33 am »
I crovect my sheep in april prior to shearing in late may.  Crovect has a shorter active life so covers them until shearing, and is also hugely cheaper!!  I then clic after shearing once they have grown a wee bit of wool back.  This tends to last them for the season unless we have a very damp and warm autumn.  cheaper option than clicing twice!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 12:51:22 pm »
Clik works by binding to the fleece , so while shedding  not a good idea

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 05:49:18 pm »
You don't,  basically.

Wait till they are shed and then dab a bit of clic at the base of each horn (there is a gland there.  If you are on really strike prone land you coukd put a few ml at the back end.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 06:09:23 pm »
I don't think it's worth using a flysrike preventative until just before you have a problem.  Too expensive, too much hassle and no-one wants to shear a fleece that's recently been treated.  We're lambing later than usual this year ande may Clik the lambs a bit earlier than usual as they're likely to still have fairly runny muck due to still suckling a lot.  Normally I Clik the ewes once their fleece has grown to about 1cm after shearing.  If I see greenbottles before then I dag them and keep vigilant. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS