Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slugs R.I.P.  (Read 3236 times)

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
Slugs R.I.P.
« on: May 31, 2014, 09:41:22 am »
Hi, Can any one tell me how to KILL slugs please.

David

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Slugs R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:31:12 am »

The only sure way is to pick them off the plants or wherever they're hiding, place them on a stone or slab and squidge them to obliteration. You can collect them in the dark by torchlight or just kill them whenever you find them. Some people put them in a jar of salty water to die, but I prefer the immediate satisfaction of the squidge.

A dry climate helps - we are in a very wet area  >:( and we suffer particularly from a plague of snails. Snails though are easy to fling more than the necessary 18 metres to prevent them coming home.

If you use chemicals then slug pellets are fairly effective as long as you reapply regularly.  I don't use chemical type pellets as they are so damaging to other wildlife.  There is an organic version of the slug pellet which breaks down to a harmless iron product.  I use this with good effect, but we have a huge queue of slugs and snails waiting in the wings to take over when that lot are dead. When I have used the organic pellets in my polytunnel, they tend to disappear on the first night - the pellets that is.  We eventually found that the mice or voles were diligently collecting them up at night and using them to line their nests - very pretty décor, but not much use to me to kill slugs.

There are of course lots of deterrents but it sounds as if, like me, you just want to get the devils.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:41:15 pm »
There is an organic version of the slug pellet which breaks down to a harmless iron product.  I use this with good effect

So do I. But you do have to keep re-applying. Of course, I also pick off slugs and snails whenever I see them - but they seem to be half dead by now; would probably disappear after a while anyway.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:10:08 pm »
I used the old tin can and drop of beer under a slate in my cabbage row. Still chucked what I saw on plants or travelling ( the hens enjoyed them  :yum: )  but the beer cans got a fair supply too. Just left them in to rot down a bit then chucked them on the compost  ;D

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 09:15:35 am »
Fleecewife, Ina and Mammshaz. Thank you all, I will give then all a go. Fleecewife 10 out of 10 for reply.

Many thanks

David

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 11:43:06 am »

Just had a confession from Mr Fleecewife.  Went a bit like this:

Mr F: "There was a poor slug caught halfway across the path and starting to dry out..."
Me: "So what did you do with it?"
Mr F: "well I helped it across to the other side of course"
Me :  :rant: :rant: :rant: :furious: ???

:roflanim:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:47:44 am »
Dear Mrs Fleecewife.

Whilst i appreciate you care about Mr Fleecewife greatly and he's been a bit under the weather lately, the reported behaviour above is clearly grounds for having him assessed for insanity...

Hope all goes well in your continued efforts to crush every one of the slippery evil buggers you find!

Keep up the good fight.

Bloomer

P.S. I collect them up and feed them to my chickens who love them so much they play chook rugby with them!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 03:07:34 pm »

Definitely  :roflanim: :roflanim:  I'll tell him, and hope he likes the straight jacket  ;D

Our hens, fussy lot, won't eat slugs, not for anything (nor cabbage white caterpillars).  Even the Muscovies we used to have wouldn't manage more than a couple at a time.  We had lots of frogspawn this spring so hopefully there will be loads of frogs, and toads, to mop up the horrible slugs.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 08:45:24 pm »
Last night I put the second of this years instalment of Nemasys nematode slug control on the gardens with a low pressure pump up sprayer kept specially for that purpose .

Since I started using it after talking to Dan about it three years ago the number of slugs in the beds are dramatically reduced .
There are very very few black slugs now , prior to the use of the nematodes they were every where and ate the vast majority of crops in spite of me doing regular pellet runs around the gardens and also using slug killing sprays .

Even the fawn coloured slugs are getting a good natural hammering .

This year I also sprayed some nematodes in the tops of the compost making " Dalek" bins  as I noticed several of these slugs hiding in the lips of the lids  .

The tubs &  heated misting bed  in the glasshouse have also been nematode treated this year, for last year a couple of slugs ate all my sweet capsicums right back to the ground and had a good session with lots of the early brassica in seed pots & trays over a three day period whilst we were away . .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS