Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: makehsift nestboxes and no eggs  (Read 2517 times)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
makehsift nestboxes and no eggs
« on: September 28, 2009, 10:32:49 pm »
This may be a damn fool question but;..........
If you use a drawer as a nest box do you sit it the right way up or on its side?
I put one the right way up and filled it with straw and the hens ignored it and the cat took it over.
However they look too narrow on the side. I saw a friend had used a clipping catcher from a lawn mower for his marans which was clearly working well.
My hens have stopped laying. This might be becuase they're moulting, or because our big cockeral is becoming too bossy and chasing them off their food, or because they've found a new and interesting place to lay.
Any suggestions gratefully received :(
kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: makehsift nestboxes and no eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 11:46:52 pm »
It's the moult. They can't do both at the same time - make new feathers and make new eggs - one or t'other.  I could fill a dozen duvets with what's in my hen run but not bellies! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 07:29:51 am »
I saw a friend had used a clipping catcher from a lawn mower for his marans which was clearly working well.

Fantastic! Wish I'd thought of that!

Our hens definitely want somewhere out of the way, quiet, and a bit dark for laying. Perhaps you could make something good out of a cardboard box for instance? 
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 12:48:05 pm »
I think a cardboard box would disintegrate pretty quickly in our climate.  I use drawers right way up and they are fine - i put them in a dark corner of the shed.  But as I said no eggs at all just now because of the moult, my hens and ducks are freeloading just now  ;)  Ducks should start again soon though.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 09:37:33 pm »
Thanks both,
Hens definitely look like they're growing new feathers but can't see many coming out.
In the past the warrens I had looked really manky whilst they were moulting. These ones are obviously more sensible.
kirsty

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:33:30 pm »
I laid a black plastic bucket on its side for my chicks to shelter in when I first got them. Then I got my big ex-batts. Then no-one used the bucket! I put the babies to bed in a cat carrier for the first few nights ('til they got used to the big girls!). During the day, the girls laid the odd egg in it!
They now lay in their nest boxes thanks to a couple of fake eggs!
My ex-batts are already growing new feathers on their scrawney knecks!!! AND laying 3/4 eggs a day. Not bad for 6 lovely ladies.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 09:18:40 pm »
Like the idea of a bucket. I will try that. I have been using cardboard boxes in the shed which have lasted a week or two but I definitely need something more permanent. I have lots of old drawers but as the nest boxes sit under the perches they need some sort of lid or similar to stop them getting dirty at night.  :chook:
kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:28:46 pm »
No matter whether mine are covered or not they get dirty.  My girls are dirty wee beggars that poo in their nests!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS