Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP please: ancient Kenwood Chef attachements  (Read 5153 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
HELP please: ancient Kenwood Chef attachements
« on: April 05, 2014, 04:59:24 pm »
Hi, maybe someone knows what best to use here?

I want to make Wild Garlic Pesto. Tried the liquidiser - too dry, it just can't do it. Broke a food chopper on wild garlic last year, too stringy, it got stuck and burnt the chopper out.
 I found an old Kenwood Chef in the cupboard (from the 60s or 70s I reckon) but have no idea which attachment might be useful here...I've never used it before....The options are:
 slicer shredder ?  Instructions only mention harder veg and nuts, not herbs
 maybe the meat mincer? I can see how it will clog up the tube though.

I so hope someone still know the machine!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: HELP please: ancient Kenwood Chef attachements
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 05:22:45 pm »
I don't have too many attachments for my Kenwood but I do always use the liquidiser to make pesto and have the same issues.  I usually end up doing it in small quantities of dry ingredients (slightly pre chopped garlic, and separately done nuts) and I put in all the oil at the beginning then add the dry stuff a bit at a time.  Seems to get me there in the end.  I have had my Kenwood at least twenty years, and never used the slicer!

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 06:02:58 pm »
i use the liquidiser too, i dont tend to have any problems with it being too dry. I add a little bit of oil at a time until it reaches the right consistancy for the liquidiser to easily chops the herbs.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 06:15:57 pm »
thanks - wild garlic is not as nice to handle as basil or even rocket...I am aware that it needs to be chopped first but it still is very tough and stringy. Makes nice pesto though, very garliccy  :roflanim: . I'll try putting the oil in first! Maybe that's all it takes  :thinking: :&>

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 06:44:36 pm »
Seems an appropriate thread - if anyone wants a liquidiser for old ken wood chef... I have one here free to good home collect if nearby or will post...  It is for the white and blue one ( 30 years old)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 09:35:39 pm »
The liquidiser on a Kenwood Chef is suitable for wet or dry foods so should do the trick. I use mine to turn granulated sugar into caster sugar. I refer to the process as casterating the sugar, which always make my OH wince for some reason.  :innocent:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 10:21:04 pm »
I've been using a Moulinex so far and stuff just gets stuck, no joy....I think my Kenwood came with a liquidiser, will unpack the old box and check, FiB  :thumbsup:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:36:59 am »
I've decided to get a food processor now (with large blades!), I really miss it also for making quick pastry. With both the liquidiser and hand blender I can only do small amounts and I have so much more garlic to process!  :&>

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 12:02:13 pm »
Hi, maybe someone knows what best to use here?

I want to make Wild Garlic Pesto. Tried the liquidiser - too dry, it just can't do it. Broke a food chopper on wild garlic last year, too stringy, it got stuck and burnt the chopper out.
 I found an old Kenwood Chef in the cupboard (from the 60s or 70s I reckon) but have no idea which attachment might be useful here...I've never used it before....The options are:
 slicer shredder ?  Instructions only mention harder veg and nuts, not herbs
 maybe the meat mincer? I can see how it will clog up the tube though.

I so hope someone still know the machine!

We have such a machine  with the mincer and the main mixing attachments,.

I ended up using our food processor to fine chop a couple ofn pounds of  garlic scapes to get them down fine enough for a pesto as the mincer was not very successful in that it kept clogging up behind the cutter.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 12:04:04 pm »
Seems an appropriate thread - if anyone wants a liquidiser for old ken wood chef... I have one here free to good home collect if nearby or will post...  It is for the white and blue one ( 30 years old)

Yes please .. PM in the offing .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 08:08:50 pm »
Blanch the garlic leaves in boiling water for about 10 seconds and then squeeze them out in a clean tea towel, It makes it a lot easier. I made some the other day and it is lovely

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS