Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame pregnant sow  (Read 2249 times)

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
Lame pregnant sow
« on: March 12, 2014, 06:12:26 pm »
My four year old sow Had a slight limp yesterday which looks worse today. When I fed her this evening she went down on her knees to eat. I'm going to call the vet out tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas? She is in an outdoor current pen at the moment so there is no worry about her having something in her hoof.
She is due to farrow in the next two weeks so carrying more weight than normal.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Lame pregnant sow
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:17:58 pm »
I've occasionally had a very pregnant pig limp due to what I concluded was lying awkwardly for a long period plus disinclination to get up due to being full of piglets.  If I tempted them with something like chopped apples scattered around the pen which motivated them enought to walk about for a bit it disappeared.  Worth getting checked out though.

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 06:46:59 am »
Been up there this morning and she won't put any weight on here right front foot at all. Will have the vet out today. I'll let you know what he says

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 08:04:55 am »
Its possible she has twisted or sprained it, the vet will either jab ketofen or metacam. You can ask for oral metacam to squirt down her throat if that makes it easier for you and for her.
I know it hurts but you must try to get her mobile once the meds take affect as MF said scattered nuts or treats will generally do the trick.
Fingers crossed for a rapid recovery. :hug:
best mandy :pig:

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 02:19:02 pm »
We have come to the conclusion the boar may have trodden on her leg.  Vet gave her anti biotics and anti inflammatory.  We wormed them too so had a job lot.  Hopefully should see some improvement in the next few days

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS