Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent Tagging query  (Read 1424 times)

fifisoo

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Urgent Tagging query
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:56:31 pm »
Hello folks

Secretly hoping for some weird tagging rule that will explain something for me. 

Our pigs are booked into the abbatoir tomorrow and the butcher next tuesday (both currently have two week waiting lists) One of the pigs had lost a tag so we ordered a new one from Tarff Farm supplies in Ringford, Castle Douglas. It was meant to be ready last week but I had to chase for it, track it down and then finally pick it up today. At the time of ordering, I was asked the pig ID number which is UK 1973 13, When I got home I saw that the tag number is UK DF 0565 13. By then it was too late to phone Tarff and check if they had given me the wrnog tag or just effed it up from the start. We only have two pigs so there was no way I could have given them the wrong number.

Any pearls of wisdom?

Thanks

Fiona

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Urgent Tagging query
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:22:45 pm »
No idea what's going on there but the tags required by the abattoir should have your herd number on them eg AB1234. Nothing else is required for slaughter. Most abattoirs require metal tags which will withstand the scalding that is used to remove the hair from the carcass. Sounds like the supplier has fobbed you off with the wrong tag.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS