Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dirt Barrier Mats  (Read 2485 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Dirt Barrier Mats
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:52:03 am »
Folks,

10 feet from our front door is 6" of squelchy mud.  10 feet behind it is a lovely new engineered wood floor. Though we've implemented a strict shoe-change routine in the porch, we're still managing to walk quite a bit of mud and grit in on our slippers, which doesn't bode well long term.

Can anybody recommend a really good barrier mat, or other solution?  I bought a couple of those 'JML' type magic mats, and whilst they do seem to trap the dirt, they need washing very frequently. This would be ok, except the rubber backing means they don't want to go in the washing machine, and once I HAVE forced them in, they don't clean very well, as the water can't rinse through them.

Any ideas?  :thumbsup:

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Dirt Barrier Mats
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 10:54:26 am »
Ooooh - I'll be watching this. We have the same problem.

We have a dog and boot decontamination area and two rooms - one for shucking off outer clothing and one for  drying the dogs before they come into the house but there's still a lot of dust about
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:19:20 am »
I can tell you the most expensive solution.  Get the muddy area paved with posh slabs but decide to get your whole garden revamped at the same time  :roflanim: followed by getting a porch built front and back as an air and mud lock.  Don't know how to stop the dogs tramping the mud in though - they can always find some on even the driest day.

Being serious, how about a lorry load of type one into the muddy area, topped up every couple of years?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 11:28:49 am »
Yes, just done the type 1 trick Fleecewife, and it's helped, but not eliminated the problem. We're always trailing in and out - birds, cars, wood, coal, ash, so it's an ongoing problem.

What we usually notice is how much cleaner the house is when it's been snowing outside, but this year everything's fallen as rain instead, so you can guess the outcome!

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

silkiechick

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 11:41:16 am »
I,ve got these everywhere http://www.splendidpets.co.uk/dirt-trappers-c12#c63 the kennel grade ones are really good value,pressure wash hose pipe clean or put in the washing machine

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 01:32:53 pm »
Oooh - we can get some of those to go in the dog's room.

We always hose down boots and dogs before going into the house and dry off the dogs with old towels but their feet ares still wet an muddy and the floor in their room gets dirty very quickly despite regular moppings-out.

Thanks  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 02:13:53 pm »
do you have a porch? that is our saviour in our house as boots don't go past the porch. we also have gravel outside the door.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 04:50:16 pm »
Know the feeling.  Costco do heavy duty mats about 5' x 3'.  We use those and they vacuum up quite well.  When it is (finally) dry for a few days, I pressure wash them outside. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS