Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: i keep chooks  (Read 5060 times)

tankgirl

• Joined Mar 2008
i keep chooks
« on: March 23, 2008, 03:09:57 pm »
hello :)
i keep chooks and grow some of my own veg in backgarden and have a small lottie plot up the road. not yet saved up enough for anything bigger but one day.....!
i'm wanting to keep more chooks and raise my own chicks so hoping to learn from others experiences and advise on how to do it right!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: i keep chooks
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 03:54:33 pm »
Hi tankgirl and welcome.  Oodles of advice will come your way from this site.  What sort of chooks have you got?  ARe they layers? ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 08:48:10 pm »
Hi, tankgirl

Welcome to the TAS forums - hope your enjoy them and find them helpful.

I've just ordered hatching eggs off EBAY for the first time - never used them before but our cockerel bit the dust, so we've none of our own. They are Lavender Auracanas - I couldn't decide between them and Cuckoo Marans, so they're next. Oops, don't tell Dan!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 11:14:33 pm »
Welcome to a lovely forum - I know you will enjoy it.  Look forward to reading your postings.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:44:38 am »
Apparently I haven't ordered Aurucanas - I've ordered French Copper Black Marans!! Hey ho, best laid plans. Aurucanas next time!

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 04:11:43 pm »
Hello and welcome from Wet and windy Brittany

Carole

tankgirl

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 08:34:30 pm »
hi again, have been having probs with laptop so not been able to come and visit site for a few days or so but fingers crossed ok again!
i first started with 2 rhode island reds about 5yrs ago, lost Honey as not well (she had a lump and vet thought it best to put her to sleep) so went and bought 3 new companions for Coco last May and after she helped them settle in she just seem to loose interest and died in her sleep. At the moment i have a Calder Ranger, a Sussex Hybrid and Bovan Nero -who gave me alittle scare soon after bringing home but after some TLC she has been laying like a trooper!
I am planning to buy some chicks (about 6wks old), for layers and some for the table, my plan is to keep 1 of these to produce chicks with a cockeral, so will be looking for any advise on this.   

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 08:57:39 pm »
Welcome Tankgirl,

As soon as we're finished lambing, we're starting on chooks. Reading lots about them and planning to build 'the perfect coop' in the next few weeks while off on holiday/ lambing.

Not sure whether to incubate eggs or just buy young chicks  ???

Looking forward to hearing your news and learning from your experiences.

Pebbles

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS