Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: coppicing  (Read 7431 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: coppicing
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 06:42:31 pm »
What do you get out of 5 year hazel? Firewood or just poles and stuff? If you wanted to do hazel for firewood and the odd pole, are you looking at a longer rotation?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 06:50:07 pm »
Stereo,  Have sent you a bit of a long-winded pm ::) re my thoughts on coppicing ;D

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 11:21:54 pm »
Stereo,  Have sent you a bit of a long-winded pm ::) re my thoughts on coppicing ;D

Would be interested in reading them
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Old tree man

• Joined Feb 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 07:50:35 am »
5 year hazel cutting was used for wattling and hurdles, this is still used locally, logs ect you are looking for "dry" timber, or ash which you can burn green other wise you run the risk of over coking you flues and chimneys. To grow timber for logs you need land that you can leave for years to mature then use the fist thinning for burning this can take anything from 10 yrs depending the fertility of the land.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 10:35:36 am »
I pretty much burn anything but season it well. I wouldn't even burn ash green to be honest. Everything gets at least a year to get uder 20% MC, oak can take 2 or 3 years for bigger chunks..

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 12:53:51 pm »
Ash will burn green but won't give out much heat. All wood, when seasoned, is good to burn
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS