Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: old chook recipies  (Read 2506 times)

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
old chook recipies
« on: February 25, 2014, 06:27:10 pm »
Hi all, any ideas/favourites for cooking old hens and nine month old cockerel, maybe soup? not sure how viable the old girls will be.
Thanks in advance!
Heather

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: old chook recipies
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:55:56 pm »
There is some info and a good way of cooking them on here plus a bit about feeding etc pre-preparing them  Its about Marans but would apply to any type of bird, or poultry even.  If the hens are upto about 2-2 1/2 years old you might be okay be any older and free range really you will just make some tasty stock and maybe something for the dog to bounce his teeth off.

http://www.darkbrowneggs.info/#/marans-as-meat-birds/4554492879
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:50:37 pm »
We ate a nearly two year old cock recently and he was lovely! I slow cooked him coq au vin but I think he might have been OK anyway. He was certainly like no chicken I have ever eaten before - much denser meat, far gamier, bigger legs, smaller breast - but in a really good way. So your cockerel should be fine whatever you do to him.

Not sure about the girls - I'm guessing they'll be quite a lot older.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:32:07 pm »
I used to be able to buy 'boiling hens' a few years ago. Actually, they were six shillings each so it was quite a while ago.  ;D  I used to cook them in the pressure cooker and then use the flesh in recipes. The other alternative would be in a slow cooker.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS