Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: turning eggs  (Read 2456 times)

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
turning eggs
« on: February 19, 2014, 06:56:13 pm »
I have acquired a second hand brinsea 20 digital but it has no cradle to automatically turn the eggs, the instructions don't seem to tell me how and how often I should turn the eggs, any advice or do I need to buy a cradle (they look very expensive!)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: turning eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 07:01:17 pm »
I have a couple of brinsea incubators and just move the incubator onto the opposite 45% three times a day and that works well for me.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 07:09:24 pm »
so just turn the whole incubator, not the eggs?

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:16:01 pm »
Yes as long as the egg deviders are in place to stop the eggs moving.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:08:46 pm »
That's the joy of their octagons - they roll over beautifully and sit at the right angle on opposite sides. But, no, you don't need a cradle. I have one and ended up not using it quite a lot of the time last season. It does help if you're not around during the day though.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:46:23 am »
minimum 3 times a day, I've read that 5 is better, even time periods between turning.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:24:24 am »
They are turned an odd number of times to alternate the side on the longer night period Thestephens. They need to move 90 degrees in total so 45 degrees each way is great. I have also heard that 5 times is better but have never had problems just turning them 3 times, which is a lot less effort. If you can turn them without touching the eggs it reduces the risk of introducing infection dramatically.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 03:36:28 pm »
The Brinsea cradle turner will turn them one way and then back the other every hour.  I would think it more important to turn them regularly at around that interval in the first ten days of hatching, so that the developing chick doesn't stick to one side.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 03:38:05 pm »
We have 2 of these and the auto turner is great if you can get hold of one. Excellent hatch rates.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS