Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Care Plan for my new "welfare enriched"  (Read 7636 times)

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Care Plan for my new "welfare enriched"
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 09:17:29 am »
I recently rescued some from the BHWT and they have gone off lay too.  Its the stress of a new environment. 

The sheds they were in were dark and very warm.  They then get caged up to rescue point and are probably outside for the first time, then boxed up again and sent to new homes.  Most will lay in the first day or so then stop for a few weeks until they have settled in.

Keep at it.  I wouldn't worry about too many lotions and potions unless they are looking ill.  Plenty of water and pellets should bring them back to the real world

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 09:20:00 am »
Are you using 20Kg bags of pellets?

14 birds eating a 20Kg bag in 4 days can't be right surely?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 09:56:43 am »
Are you using 20Kg bags of pellets?

14 birds eating a 20Kg bag in 4 days can't be right surely?

mine had huge appetites.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 04:28:23 pm »
20kg bags. But  there are another 9 free range birds that eat that as well.

Having said that.... these bats have BIG appetites, which I am grateful for.... skin and bone describes them well at the moment!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 10:10:43 am »
Its probably all just a bit of a shock to them.

remember they will have been kept in a fairly constant temperature all of their lives, (around 21C)

So suddenly being outside, with lower temperatures, differing light levels, wind etc especially when their feathers are still growing back in is going to make them eat a lot more just to keep warm.

They've eaten the same thing probably all of their lives but they will quickly pick up on eating spiders, worms and other food types etc, it just takes a bit of time.

Once the feathers are back they should be ok  :thumbsup:

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 02:55:16 pm »
Despite their GINORMOUS appetites, I am not quite pleased with them.  The feathers on all of them, except one,  are starting to come through.  She isn't sickly but should I separate her anyway?  She is being pecked just a little.

I have discovered they love mealworm and I left the door ajar yesterday because it was 12 degrees where I live.

They look a lot plumper (though still very scrawny) so I am a lot less worried than I was.

Would you separate out the one whose feathers aren't coming through?  I am tempted to put her in my kitchen for a week.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 09:24:06 pm »
Might be worth seperating her but with a companion or two, if you can find some that are less liable to peck at her.  If you have her by herself she may be ostracised when she's put back and get bullied.  You will then be able to up her mealworms and therefore protein levels which should help the feathers come through.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS