Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambivac for newborn kids?  (Read 2633 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Lambivac for newborn kids?
« on: January 27, 2014, 06:12:13 pm »
My newborn kids aren't supposed to be born (naughty billy visit in August), consequently the rest are due to be lambivac-ed 3/4 weeks before kidding 1st March and I need to include these 4 kids as they have no immunity - what is the minimum age I can vaccinate them?

One is a bit chesty - so of course I'm in a mini-panic and want to get the vaccination done asap....

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Lambivac for newborn kids?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 07:29:15 pm »
I think it's 3 weeks old.

Does it not say in the blurb?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:35:43 pm »
Yes it is 3 weeks minimum. I am not sure if it is the same for Ovipast, vet will know. If they are chesty now get them down to the vets asap and get some AB's into them, at this age they do go down with pneumonia quite quickly. Would be better to have an expert listening to the chest anyway.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:35:44 am »
From personal experience .......also supporting Anke.............get both kids to the Vet as soon as possible.

If one sounds chesty,  it is almost certainly going down with pneumonia probably caused by the weather.

When the babies are this young, you literally have hours to do this.............they die VERY QUICKLY.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 09:52:37 am »
Kids behaving fine - stretching, feeding - look happy.  Vet thinks unlikely to be pneumonia but to keep an eye and if poorly give 1 ml ab.  She's coming out tomorrow to cut scurs off billygoat (should be fun!) so can look at them if still chesty.  Will ask re lambivac and ovipast too.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 06:14:46 pm »
That sounds encouraging.  :thumbsup:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 09:18:45 am »
I am in a similar position, have read instructions, am I right in thinking that all goats regardless of size and weight get 2 ml
Cheers mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 10:44:08 am »
yes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS