Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dark eggs?!?!?  (Read 2007 times)

Offgridgreg

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Saddleworth
Dark eggs?!?!?
« on: February 15, 2014, 02:06:02 pm »
Hi wonder if anyone can advice..

I have a mixed flock with lots of marans in there,but one of the marans is laying a dark egg with a white coating on it with wipes off leaving a brown shell underneath

Does anyone know what it is and if there is anything more I can do to prevent it???

I'd welcome your thoughts
Regards..

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Dark eggs?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 02:43:38 pm »
This normally happens when the birds are under stress, particularly when a youngster is first coming into lay.  Very occasionally they will continue to do this, and then it maybe as well to check if anything is upsetting the birds, such as rodents or predator visits, poor living conditions or incorrect feeding. 

It is such a well known stress indicator that commercial units testing for stress levels actually use it as a signal.  But I expect it is an early layer and she will revert to true egg colour soon.  With Marans never gauge the egg colour until after about the 20th egg.   :)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Offgridgreg

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Saddleworth
Re: Dark eggs?!?!?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 02:50:56 pm »
Yes most are young birds just starting so hopefully it's the reason...

Thanks for the info sue...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS