Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping feed dry?  (Read 6208 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Keeping feed dry?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 08:00:53 am »
feeding wholegrains is an option til it dries up as they dont go mushy.

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 04:39:18 pm »
Hi. Mine get layers pellets and corn put in a large galvanized feeder which has a skirt, kind of like a rain hat. This shuts down at night to keep feed dry and vermin out. Also they get pasta and veg or porridge with fruit before roosting. This is served in ice cream containers but never has chance to get wet as it's all gone in about 2 minutes!! I've been putting straw in the run to try to absorb some of the wet and raking out and changing every few days as needed. This seems to work well, and they enjoy scratching among the straw for bugs!!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 06:42:20 pm »
I've got the same feeders with a big hat but it's still getting wet - it just blows sideways!

Fortunately they're still mainly on grass except at the gateways where we muck it up so I'm lucky there. With the foul weather of the last couple of days, I've just been putting out the mixed grain. Hope they'll be OK on that for a while.

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS