Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Gordon M  (Read 2769 times)

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
Hello from Gordon M
« on: September 15, 2009, 08:18:50 pm »
Hello everyone,
My name is Gordon, I'm married with one child, living in Clackmannanshire and have just been lucky enough to buy 7 acres close to home. So far I only have 4 chickens (in the garden) but through time would like to get my land into full production, difficult to do at the moment as I work overseas to pay for it. I'll hopefully get an orchard planted and at least some veg growing to start with, livestock will follow provided the wife will agree to care for them when I'm at work.
Great website by the way!!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Hello from Gordon M
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 08:30:51 pm »
Hi Gordon and welcome.

pauline

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 08:33:18 pm »
Hi Gordon
hope it all works out for you ;D I too am new to this site and it's great!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:37:38 pm »
Hi Gordon, get your wife to chat on here, and before you know it she will be an enthusiastic smallholder.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 08:39:58 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D I agree HM !
Hello & welcome from me in south lanarkshire !
Karen

sandy

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 10:21:16 pm »
Hello Gorden, I too am from Clackmannan and am also with the Central Scotland Smallholders Associaltion, we are having a meeting at mine tomorrow, maybe you could come and take a look, I initialy only had three chickens, now I have 16 and 2 Ducks, some have just a few veg so it's not all about quantity just about like minded people, some are on this forum!!!! Welome!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 10:32:03 pm »
Welcome from me too - down the road from Sandy & Steve.  10 hens and a cockerel, 3 ducks and a drake, 3 less fish than this afternoon, a cat and four dogs - animal farm hasn't a look in
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 10:55:29 pm »
Thanks everyone for the friendly welcome,
I'm aware of the central scotland smallholders association and will likely join soon. At present I'm in the middle east but will get home in October and then will hopefully get things moving i.e. fencing, ground preps and planting, not mention a lot of learning!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 09:16:42 am »
Hi Gordon and welcome. Where about is your land? We're in Alloa (I've been looking for land in Clackmannanshire for years). Hope you make it to CSSA when you get back and acclimatised!

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 11:30:11 pm »
Hi Rosemary,
The land is at Pitgober just past Dollar, needs a lot of work, drainage, fence repairs etc. It had been used as an equestrian enterprise in the past (lower field) and the upper field which is on  quite a steep slope was pretty much left to go wild. A friend of mine is putting a few Dexters on it to clean it up a little and maybe some sheep over the winter.
I know your place well,, I used to play there as well as Orchard Farm when I was a kid as I was friendly with the Moffats who were the tennant farmers there at that time (1970s), Nice spot!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS