Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Phone scam . do not call it back.  (Read 4585 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Phone scam . do not call it back.
« on: January 18, 2014, 01:01:50 pm »
Found this warning today from a victim.

VERY COSTLY NEW AREA CODE: READ AND PASS ALONG; 0809 Area Code I actually received a call last week from the 0809 area code. The woman said 'Hey, this is Karen. Sorry I missed you- get back to us quickly. I have something important to tell you.' Then she repeated a phone number beginning with 0809. I did not respond, this week, I received the following e-mail from a friend: Do Not DIAL AREA CODE 0809,0284, and 0876 from the UK . This one is being distributed all over the UK ... This is pretty scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call. Be sure you read this and pass it on. They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has been arrested, died, or to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc.. In each case, you are told to call the 0809 number right away. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls. If you call from the UK you will "apparently" be charged a minimum of £1500 per-minute, and you'll also get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges. WHY IT WORKS: The 0809 area code is located in the Dominican Republic .... The charges afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually DID make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong. Please forward this entire message to your friends, family and colleagues to help them become aware of this possible scam.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Phone scam . do not call it back.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 12:53:40 am »
So who actually makes the money out of this?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 10:14:13 am »
the person that has the premium rate number makes the money. anyone  can set one up. It's how sex chat lines work,,,,apparently...so I'm told by the vicar.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 11:37:54 pm »
That's interesting, Spandit.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 04:34:41 pm »
thanks, Tiz

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 05:17:44 pm »
thanks, i never knew that.
i often call back missed calls incase its a business call, and also i will worry it was important ie my cows on the road.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 05:21:04 pm »
read the snopes link above...

its not current or relevant...

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 05:33:58 pm »
 ::) ...thanks for the reminder, bloomer. Still, I only called one back as it had a London area code - promptly it was a company selling stuff. If callers don't withold their number I try any of the "Whocalledme" sites first. They are really helpful. :&>

factchecker

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 01:08:35 pm »
I'd love to meet the 'victim' tizaala

This is just non-existent rubbish, an email that has been doing the rounds for well over 10years and doesn't refer to uk area codes but in fact US 809 area code.

This is just physically impossible in the UK - - either they lied to you or you errantly attempted to qualify the warning

In the UK calls to 0284 are charged at the standard rate (0284 is the area code for County Down in Northern Ireland) . There are no numbers that you can dial from the UK that start either 0809 or 0876 as those particular codes havent been released, but even if they were then 0809 would be a free call and 0876 would be 5p - 41p /minute.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 05:19:40 pm »
And there I was thinking I was doing the world a favour , and as this forum is not unique to just the uk the info might be useful to our colonial members.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 07:32:35 pm »
Always good to stay alert - it's the intention that counts, tiz.  :&>

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 09:35:22 pm »
I'd rather be told something that turns out to be a scam than not be told and find out the hard way that it is real but it's good to know it isn't in this case.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS