Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More on it's way...  (Read 6135 times)

waddy

• Joined May 2012
Re: More on it's way...
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 06:33:13 pm »
My vote would also be for the pub providing you can get there safely!

H

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2014, 07:56:08 pm »
just took the dog for a fly…you couldn't call it a walk  :o

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 10:01:50 pm »
I daren't go outside because I know I wouldn't be able to stand up in it. My OH had to go and bring the goat in to be milked this evening. I don't know what the wind speeds are here but they're very strong. I don't want to think about the huge sycamore in the garden behind ours.

My son rang earlier from Todmorden (west Yorkshire way) and I could hardly hear what he was saying because of the noise of the wind there.

Horrendous. stay safe everyone.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 10:38:28 pm »
darkbrowneggs - I'd go for the pub!! providing its open that is!

Just had Victorian Farmer down who is local to here.  He says just do a straight run for the ferry tomorrow, though I have to stop at a caravan site for at least one night as she has been very kindly taking forwarded things for me. 

If it looks windy and stormy I may stay there longer and just take the ferry when the ferry folk say its a good sailing.  Thc caravan site is less than an hour from the ferry, though from memory she said it was very windy there. 
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2014, 10:42:58 pm »
It's been an interesting day managed to generate 5 Kw Hr. of electricity on the Solar PV system . I managed to batten down the hatches around the garden just in time and also managed to sort the recycling stuff into the correct bins before it slashed it down , driven by very strong winds with ice cold  stair rods of rain , sleet , hail and a bit of snow
We've had a dozen or more couple of second power cuts throughout  the day  when wires have touched each other it's only an hour or so ago the Alison reset the cooker digital timer/clock set up .

Things have calmed a lot ,  earlier today at about 16.00 our 1250 kg 5 berth caravan managed to get the wind ward side steady stands a good two inches up off the drive way .
 I decided to drive 1/4 mile down the hill to collect Munchkin when they got off the school bus at 16.20 hrs.  I'm glad I did , as several junior school kids on their way home from the local junior school were having a really hard time staying up right so were their mums .

OhO ..  A few second of loss of power/ lights , a wee bit dim for a while.... Glad we've had the forethought to buy a stand by genny and almost got all the stand by wiring circuit & power sockets set up in the bungalow . The wind picked up for a good blow for a few seconds there.

When I returned home with Munchkin I decided to park the car broadside to the caravan to try and deflect the wind .    Munchkin was blown 10 mtrs  from the car into the five barred gate that leads into the yard . Though I suspect it was as much her as it was the wind , for she did a perfect karate type  move to vault over the gate & land on her feet with her rucksack still on her back.......  laughing like a drain .

Just before teatime Munchkin said she saw the caravan clear the ground with the front left hand steady, just enough to see under the foot and then it was back down again.

It seems my parking the 2,000 kg KIA SEDONA along side the caravan was a wise thing as the wind was really howling at the time much stronger  than when I saw the lifting effect  1/2 hr. earlier .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS