Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck egg fertility  (Read 1623 times)

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Duck egg fertility
« on: February 02, 2014, 05:44:31 pm »
Our drake has disapeared with the fox, that l would happily shoot given the chance.  Only thing is our ducks are laying and one has gone broody.  They are muscovy ducks and make good mums.  How long after mating would the eggs be fertile?  Didn`t know if its a bit long after 2 weeks, or a bit early to let her sit at all with the grotty weather we are having.  Has anyone put a duck off from being broody?  Any thoughts please.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Duck egg fertility
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 06:56:42 pm »
I have had successful hatches with eggs that where almost a month old from ducks before
Graham

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 10:16:59 pm »
You need to separate them into the right breeding groups at least two weeks before collecting eggs for hatching so I would reckon two weeks would be the max his sperm will hang around for in his absence. Hopefully you've already got a few set aside? You're getting close to hitting spring(ish) at the time of hatching if she starts sitting now so I think in your situation I'd go for it and keep my fingers crossed. I've been asked for some fertile eggs for school hatching and I'm far from convinced any of my males are looking quite keen enough for them to be fertile yet but fingers crossed in a couple of weeks.....

H

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 02:11:52 pm »
Thanks Hester, l think l have gone past the 2 weeks for and eggs laid now to be fertile.  I shall keep a lookout for duck eggs if she continues to be broody, but this morning she was back to her usual ducky self.  This surprised me because she seemed determined yesterday.  Fickle creature.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS