Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CSSA meeting, 16th Sept 2009  (Read 13895 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: CSSA meeting, 16th Sept 2009
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2009, 09:37:32 am »
Thanks for a great venue last night. Good productive meeting, lovely cakes and a good laugh - brilliant. Sorry Steve wasn't allowed to join us - you're a hard woman!  ;D

And thanks to Andrew for a really interesting and useful input on what to ask the butcher for when pigs and lambs go for slaughter. I for one feel much more confident now.

sandy

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2009, 10:14:58 am »
Steve was in our lounge and caommented you would not have known there were so many people in the other room, we are often full and it's still quiet!!!!!! I learnt a lot too, I remember how I used to just buy the cuts of meats I knew the name for but some butchers had window displays with the name so that was OK.....I am the same with weights, that can be a problem for online shopping as in a shop you can see the size of a joint but online I just take a guess and sometimes get too small amounts, such as 2 carrots.  Steve was also looking at the economic side of smallholding and I added that not many hobbies do you get so much  in return + a reward at the end by way of the produce, getting pursusaded to get some meat birds!!!!! ummmmmmm Loved having you all here, you are all welcome whenever you need somewhere.

Unicorn

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2009, 09:26:29 am »
We had meat birds here once, great taste - but you have to have a man to do the
plucking and cleaning - I cannot do that myself - although if I had to, I would -

But why not let the men do the nasty bit, we do all the rearing and cooing and feeding and
getting toys, and activities, and bedding and water and such for the animals every day.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D  ( I know some men do that too)

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2009, 03:23:19 pm »
I had a very long day again yesterday, so this is late ... thanks for your hospitality Sandy. Especially your scones! It was great to meet a few new members and catch up with those I'd met at the Doune & Dunblane show.

sandy

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2009, 03:27:28 pm »
Never realy got to speak with you as I loved the photos you posted, funny how different photos are if you know what you are doing, we both like yours...and, I have now eaten any remaining scones :pig:I usualy freeze them and give them to guests, defrosted ;)

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2009, 07:02:50 pm »
The best way to get me to talk is just to come up to me and start talking.. don't let me edge away! Otherwise I just sit in a corner listening to other people talk :)

And on the note of photos, I'd left earlier than I needed to so I could have a wander around Culross on the way up. Just quick grabs so nothing special, but here are a couple of the photos I grabbed while there:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/calummorrell/3927809483/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/calummorrell/3928592470/

sandy

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2009, 07:37:46 pm »
Once I start I can talk the hind legs off a donkey!! Love the 3 naked chicks, Culross is so nice, we love a meal at the Red Lion and a walk on the "beach" The Power station is of special interest as we get lot's of workers stay here and they have all been great guests!!!!

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2009, 08:07:51 pm »
On the subject of great guests ... how were/are the hairy bikers?

sandy

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2009, 08:24:56 pm »
Really really nice and a bit of fun too, they go every year to Shetland on their HUGE bikes!!! last year we had a lot more bikers, I was going to take a photo but didn't we have had guests arrive on push bikes, on tractors and in posh sports cars and of course, loads of hairy bikers!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS