Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: In Lamb ewe shot and skinned.. as well as show winning ram stolen!!!!!  (Read 10546 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: In Lamb ewe shot and skinned.. as well as show winning ram stolen!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 08:45:42 pm »
That is very worrying - you and Bramblecot both.

I'm starting to think that my hard-to-access land may be a blessing now.

I'll keep my  :fc: for your Ram, but...

marcus

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 05:51:57 pm »
Of course, the fresh pluck and guts might just be from someone doing home slaughter and too tight to pay the knackerman to remove it all. Ours gets collected by the knackery once I've bagged it up.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 10:57:45 pm »
how bizarre that they would do that in your field. must have took a wee while. i imagine it would be a bit of a shock for you to find the remains  :bouquet:

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 10:28:52 am »
Thats awful I'd be gutted if I'd have found that x

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 12:13:47 pm »
Sickening :-(   :bouquet:
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 04:26:22 pm »
Have you found the bullet hole in the ewe?

The thought that ALL her inards and lambs were taken, but not the skin - could it have been dogs that ate her? After all if someone takes away the meat incl inards and ear tags they would take the fleece/skin too? And why butcher in the field - much safer shoot and carry off? Butcher in your shed?

Just seems something doesn't add up...

Why take a ram NOW - tupping is all done now?

Still not very nice thing to happen...

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 09:09:51 pm »
I'm skeptical with Anke - though just as thoughtful in condolences around your situation. Its very sad :(

Does eems a bit of a coincidence that both happened at the  same time - but coincidence happens, hence the origination of the word coincidence.

Obviously without seeing nought - I cant really make many assumptions - but its possible that another animal came and ate the inards, ears, other soft 'material' and left the skins and all.

I would not have thought anyone wanting to commit a crime like taking meat off the boones of an animal would have done it in the field and left the rest - though its all guesswork from my end?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 09:13:19 pm »
Plus although not 'ramming' time - tis the time of year for getting wonderers? Still a few eweys out there for the rammies to smell out.  Tis late - but its still that half of the year?

WildWelshShepherdess

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Conwy
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 09:23:36 pm »
Hello,
There was foot prints from where the ram was taken.
As for the ewe the skin has a clear bullet hole in it with both the police and local huntsman who also works in an abattoir confirming she had been shot and skinned... It was such a professional job that he even said to keep the skin and use it as a rug!! i shall try and upload the picture later its not letting me atm.
Flocks of Hill Radnors, Black Welsh Mountains, Balwens and North Country Cheviots

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:11 am »
how bizarre that they would do that in your field. must have took a wee while. i imagine it would be a bit of a shock for you to find the remains  :bouquet:

I'd never sorted out anything bigger than a big hare till I shot & prepped a goat.
 It took me about 6 minutes to unzip & gut a large merino goat which was a bit bigger than a sheep . That time also included removing the head still inside the jacket and rolling it up .  The guts were used for sausage skins so dropped into a big plastic bag and carried away for processing later on .

There was less than a pint of blood on the ground where I'd bled him by slicing in through his heart ,. it wasn't messy in the slightest.

He was is suspended from tree , so using a  length of 3x3 wood placed across the back door & roof of a transit type van with rope & using a couple of bits of 10 mm board as the carcass/leg  spreaders would make it much easier .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 07:44:34 pm »
the ewe was skinned and had her meat taken off her
Only left her skeleton and skin, even her ears we're cut off and taken.

taking the meat off the bone in the field would take a while surely? unless you are a pro and have proper knifes. i butchered a pig and broke a few domestic knifes just doing that. proper knives are alot quicker. leaving the bones behind is odd i think.

anyone following the eastenders storyline of the dogmeat? i wasnt sure what animal that carcus was they had.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 12:31:50 pm »
I can't help but wonder if the ewe was eaten by something as only the bones and skin would be left behind then too. If someone wanted to sell the meat, bone-in would fetch more money due to the weight.... plus bone-in has more flavour. Also would make more sense to take a young lamb and not an old ewe.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 10:20:04 pm »
Thanks cloddopper, interesting.

I  hope its not all due to foulplay and if it is, they are caught.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS