Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sick pg  (Read 4072 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
sick pg
« on: September 27, 2009, 04:42:06 pm »

My vet has given up on Cilla so time to call it a day, he thinks that her kidneys have packed in and even giving her antibiotics will not get to the underlying problem, she now has a temperature, will not eat or drink and I can't bear to think she may be suffering. I feel such a failure, I know I was rearing her for the freezer, and she was due to go last week, but that does not make me feel any better. Thanks to all who offered advice etc. There are so many really nice people out there.
Anne

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: sick pg
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:19:10 pm »
Sorry to hear this, but don't beat yourself up.  You did your best - no-one can do more or ask you to do more. Time to let her go.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 07:06:24 pm »
Tough lesson to learn, but it happens from time to time. One thing you can gaurantee if you have livestock  - at some point - you have deadstock!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 07:15:52 pm »
OMG owning animals is tough - they give us so much pleasure and so much heartache. Please don't think you are a failure - a failure is someone who stands by and watches an animal suffer and does nothing about it - you have done the very best that you can and taken the painful and right decision.  Big hug to you!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 07:24:12 am »
You have done your very best, that is not failure; that's fate. 

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 08:28:56 am »
yup. and if the pigs kidneys are shot then the quicker the better its not a nice death.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 10:11:17 am »

Cilla went yesterday, man who did the evil deed was very nice, crawled into her house and it was all over very quickly.
Now time to move on, get everything cleaned up and ready for next years pigs, can't make up my mind whether to get saddlebacks again or GOS. I use electric fencing to keep them in so need to have a docile breed. 
Anne

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 12:01:02 pm »
Foget saddlebacks and Gos's go for OSB's!! By far the best all round!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 01:52:53 pm »
So sorry about Cilla.  You know you did your best, and thats all that matters.  I think we have all been there, when you have tried everything, and nothing works .....its very sad, but something we have to cope with if we have livestock.

winshamrarebreeds

• Joined Sep 2009
  • north devon
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 02:15:58 pm »
I agree OSB's are the most docile and friendly pigs that you can have and also the taste is wonderful
joy turney

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 06:51:18 am »
GO FOR GOS   :pig: GO FOR GOS   :pig:  GO FOR GOS   :pig:   GO FOR GOS   :pig:   GO FOR GOS   :pig:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:53:10 am by Hilarysmum »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS