Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who's going the the Nationals?  (Read 4837 times)

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
Re: Who's going the the Nationals?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 08:23:31 pm »
fwiw both of my Scots Grey boys are very tuneful, a proper cockadoodle do

Cool. They do really seem like my idea of "proper chickens" (with all due respect to everyone elses favourite breed!) If we get the place we want, we won't have neighbours but I am hoping the double glazing will be enough to stop my husband turning our potential SG chap into soup for waking him at 3am.

To be fair, the only bird that actually had an ear splitting crow was some huge scary badass death-raptor at the back of the hall - some Japanese breed I think. There's no way I'm having one of those in my garden.

..If it belongs to anyone here - I am sure they are lovely!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 08:49:26 pm »
just keep the coop dark and not east facing :D summer is tougher than winter. cocks will crow through the night on clear nights, when the birds get up, when/if something disturbs them in the night but some seem to start at 2am and crow on the half hour until daybreak regardless. they then shut up just as its time to get up  ;D

I really like the Scots Greys. They are hardy, feisty and ok layers. They are not stupidly flighty like my rumpless are and my hybrids were! I hope you decide to get some-the breed society is quite active atm and there's two Facebook groups as well :)

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 11:13:36 am »
Well a win for mick grogan in 3 egg  classes and win with 3 breeds north of scotland.

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 11:40:33 am »
just keep the coop dark and not east facing :D summer is tougher than winter. cocks will crow through the night on clear nights, when the birds get up, when/if something disturbs them in the night but some seem to start at 2am and crow on the half hour until daybreak regardless. they then shut up just as its time to get up  ;D

Lol, I don't think that will sell keeping a cockerel to him!  ;D But thanks for all that info. Confirms my thoughts about the breed.  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS