Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bereaved cow  (Read 6741 times)

shoveller

• Joined Feb 2014
Re: Bereaved cow
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 07:37:55 pm »
She did give birth to the second one herself.  What she didn't do was lick it and feed it.
You don't know that.  Berkshire Boy only said that he came upon the calf dead.
It may be that the calf was born dead as the birth process took too long.  I don't know if that is the case either.
But the likelihood is that this cow will have trouble calving in future. 
She'll be freeloading for another year now, probably 15 months, and there will always be the worry that tragedy may strike again. 
Best all round to cull her

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 07:44:03 pm »
She did give birth to the second one herself.  What she didn't do was lick it and feed it.
You don't know that.  Berkshire Boy only said that he came upon the calf dead.
It may be that the calf was born dead as the birth process took too long.  I don't know if that is the case either.
But the likelihood is that this cow will have trouble calving in future. 
She'll be freeloading for another year now, probably 15 months, and there will always be the worry that tragedy may strike again. 
Best all round to cull her

i think sally meant it was born and not stuck inside the cow, half in half out.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 09:33:10 am »
Sorry not clarified but I've only just noticed the later postings.

The first calf was born by Cesarean because she was pregnant to a commercial bull, Belgium blue or the like and she's only a Dexter. The vet thought it better to go down that road. Not my doing I must add she came to me with the calf at foot off a mate.

My neighbour who is a real farmer said the calf looked fine and put it down to first timer (naturally) and thought it worth giving her another go which is what I'm going to do.

I will be keeping a very close eye on her and hopefully will have better news to post in the future.

Thanks everyone for your input and good advice.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS