Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is anyone into bees?  (Read 8041 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Is anyone into bees?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 09:35:04 am »
I read in todays paper a man in Kinross has been taken to court by his neighbours re his bee hive in his garden. The bee keeper has been given an equivelant to an ASBO because his bees were stinging the neighbours. He has 4 weeks to remove the hives from his land before he goes back to court. Perhaps Annie, there may be some cheap hives on the market in Kinross hee hee. :bee:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 03:31:32 pm »
This is what is worrying me about having bees.  That has set a precedent I think.  I'll wait and see what Rob says when he comes to check my garden.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mary B

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 10:35:42 pm »
Has anyone heard anything about bees reacting to phone masts? This was half a news story that I stumbled across, but I can't find any more details, and don't know whether this is a theory, a piece of nonsense, a scare story or something more than that. It was something about the magnetism from the phone masts messing up their ability to find nectar, and then return to the hive - a number of hives had died out around various phone masts ....

Does anyone else know any more?

sandy

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 10:48:13 pm »
I carn't have any Bees, as much as I would love them, we have neighbours with a high level garden so they WOULD get the bees up there, I do not want to get the neighbours upset, especialy as when I go out the back door there is a chorus of Chickens and Noisy DUcks!!!  NO BEES FOR ME!!

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 10:04:36 am »
I am interested in getting a hive or two. I investigated earlier this year and found that the local (well, county) technical college here in Norfolk was running a bee keeping course in the Spring which was for 'amateurs' (i.e. not professionals only).

As a separate initiative, one of the UK bee keeping societies was offering a course where - if you completed it successfully - you were given a starter hive of you own at its completion.

The British Beekeepers' Association web site has a lot of advice on it and seems worth a visit:-

http://www.britishbee.org.uk/

Good luck with your plans
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 08:54:36 pm »
I carn't have any Bees, as much as I would love them, we have neighbours with a high level garden so they WOULD get the bees up there, I do not want to get the neighbours upset, especialy as when I go out the back door there is a chorus of Chickens and Noisy DUcks!!!  NO BEES FOR ME!!

If you're neighbor has a garden, then they SHOULD want bees around. Why would they get upset?
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 02:09:29 pm »

If you're neighbor has a garden, then they SHOULD want bees around. Why would they get upset?

Because they don't want to get stung?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 09:12:00 pm »
Bees only sting when life-threatened....  but they might poo on the neighbours washing on a "cleansing flight" depending which direction your hive entrance faces!
The BBKA has a great website and you can download loads of leaflets, like where best to position your hive.
(I have all the gear and an empty hive after being shafted by a certain company who didnt provide the nuc of bees promised.  Hopefully next spring.....)
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 09:15:07 pm »
That's fine but it worries me when someone gets taken to court for having bees that have stung people as that guy in Kinross.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS