Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Overweight pig  (Read 1341 times)

Sholder22

• Joined Oct 2022
Overweight pig
« on: November 18, 2022, 07:20:52 am »
Hi, we have a rescue pig who is rather overweight, the vet has said he needs to go on a diet.

Does anyone have a recommendation of what food to put him on?

TIA

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Overweight pig
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 08:53:26 am »
Hi

What breed is he? Do you know how old? And does he have company and live out? Any other health issues? What do you currently feed and how much?

Sorry for all the questions but it would be a help to answer your initial question.

Sholder22

• Joined Oct 2022
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 09:37:00 am »
Hi, he’s a pot belly. We think he’s about 3/4, he lives outside and we lost our other pig recently so he’s now on his own.

He’s got no other ailments other than being overweight. The vet suggested to feed him on corn.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 10:19:47 am »
Personally I'd feed a modest amount of a properly formulated feed, such as Allen & Page Smallholder Pot-bellied pig feed.  And a small amount of low calorie fresh veg (eg celery, not carrots or other root veg) as treats, for interest. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 03:39:28 pm »
I would go with Sally's suggestion above. Not sure just what your vet means by corn but any straights would need minerals and vitamins adding. Also uncrushed will go straight through. Scatter the food about so he has to work for it and try to find him a friend.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS