Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick of No information Adverts!  (Read 2962 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Sick of No information Adverts!
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:13:50 am »
Is it me?  ???
Please please please when you're posting adverts can you please give some more details other then for example " got a few pigs for sale, cheers" , its driving me mad and if you get any responses I'd be amazed.
At the very least put a location, county minimum, a way of preferred contact eg PM me for phone number or a mobile number, a few details about the animal(s). A template may be useful Dan?
I like many of you am a busy smallholder and don't want to waste time & money chasing round on animals & goods that are turn out to be hundreds of miles away from me or not what the advert actually reads like. Grrr.
Rant over!
Mandy :pig:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Sick of No information Adverts!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:36:10 am »
I can understand where you're coming from. Members are spread to the four winds, so a completed members profile with location would be a great help.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 09:25:43 am »
a lot of people get really weird about giving even vague location information on the web...

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:27:13 am »
Unfortunately there's nothing we can do in the forum software that would make a location etc compulsory. There are notices when posting in the marketplace, but they seem to be frequently missed.

"Proper" ads are coming soon, together with decent property listings. Both have been on the list for some time, and will definitely make an appearance this spring.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 09:32:49 am »
As has been said, its in the vendors own interest to post as much information as possible.

For some strange reason, people seem very reluctant to say how much they want for an item. This usually puts me right off following up on an advert. To my mind, if I'm buying something, why should I be expected to sell it as well? Are sellers hoping that a prospective customer might make then a silly offer that's way over what they are expecting? :innocent:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 01:55:55 pm »
As has been said, its in the vendors own interest to post as much information as possible.

For some strange reason, people seem very reluctant to say how much they want for an item. This usually puts me right off following up on an advert. To my mind, if I'm buying something, why should I be expected to sell it as well? Are sellers hoping that a prospective customer might make then a silly offer that's way over what they are expecting? :innocent:

I agree. So much so that on principle if an ad doesn't state at least an approx price then I discount it from consideration. At least a ballpark figure. Otherwise it's just wasting everyone's time.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 07:57:20 pm »
And then there are the people who advertise something for sale, when you contact them they are not sure if they want to sell or not  ???
Anne

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 08:01:43 pm »
And then there are the people who advertise something for sale, when you contact them they are not sure if they want to sell or not  ???

iv been very guilty of that - sometimes i have to sell the animals for financial reasons but it really breaks my heart and its like jekyl and hyde in my head.
yes they are for sale - but - no i love too much so you cant have them.  :-[ :-[

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 11:33:02 pm »
On many Facebook selling pages ads that have no price, area and contact number are simply deleted, saves a lot of space and time.

sandalfarm

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 07:58:32 pm »
On a motorbike web site that I look at if there is no price the as is deleted which seems fair as the person must have a price in mind or say offers over a certain price

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 09:02:49 pm »
TBH

I would have bought a good few things off the Market place page, but i hate it when they can't even be bothered to put a price as Mandy said we are busy, I am not wasting my time and a phone call to find out that the seller thinks that her little goat (for example, not pointing any fingers) is twice the price that she is actually worth!

Come on guys and gals lets keep the cash in the community!   ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS