Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cheese question  (Read 9397 times)

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
Re: cheese question
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 11:08:12 am »
Unfortunately all the farmers around me are in a co-operative and so are not allowed to sell milk to individuals.  Also they have to make sure it is pastuerised before selling it on.  Can't sell raw milk.  :cat: :chook:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 11:40:17 am »
you wonder how the French make unpastuerized cheese and why milk straight from the cow is sold in HEALTH FOOD SHOPS in Germany. I used to go to the farmer as a child and have my bottles filled (and I'm not that old!!), we then boiled it up at home. Maybe I'll find a smallholder with goats, that would do me just fine  ;D

Geraint

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 02:42:36 pm »
I followed Richard Mabeys recipe from "The Full English Cassoulet" for Corsican Curd cheese, it recommended Lemon juice as the curdler, but I found this to only curdle a little, so I used white wine vinegar, using enough until I'd separated the curd from the whey, I have also tried cider vinegar too but I thought the overall taste was better with the white wine vinegar, I washed the cheese gently afterwards whilst it drained to wash off any strong taste.
Hope it works well for you too.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 06:15:37 pm »
you wonder how the French make unpastuerized cheese and why milk straight from the cow is sold in HEALTH FOOD SHOPS in Germany. I used to go to the farmer as a child and have my bottles filled (and I'm not that old!!), we then boiled it up at home. Maybe I'll find a smallholder with goats, that would do me just fine  ;D

Beth and her Mum?  Balingall!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS