Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: confiers and willows  (Read 1935 times)

Prenders :)

• Joined Feb 2014
  • East Yorkshire
confiers and willows
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:26:26 pm »
 :wave:Hi everyone.............ive just purchased 15cm high plugged conifers and willows......can i put them straight out into my paddock and if so whats best to plant them in ie bone meal etc......and distance apart for the conifers (xmas trees) and willows   OR   should i put them in pots until better weather and the roots have become established.....

waiting for replies    chris in East yorkshire  ;D

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: confiers and willows
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:55:34 pm »
Get them in now as long as the ground isn't frozen or completely waterlogged (if the hole fills up with water after you've dug it, that's not good). I plant my trees with manure, a handful of bonemeal and a handful of growmore. Having said that, they've been much bigger trees - two year old fruit trees which are about 6 foot high. I've got 700 hedging trees to go in in March. They'll be babies, a bit bigger than yours but not huge, they're going to go in with Rootgrow which has the mycorrhizae (?) fungus to promote root growth - I think I can just dip the root in and then plant. Maybe I've just fallen for some marketing...

Remember as well to guard your babies from rabbits and to keep the base clear of weeds. As for spacing, I don't know - it depends how big you want them to get? Hedging plants are way less than a metre, orchard trees several metres.

Prenders :)

• Joined Feb 2014
  • East Yorkshire
Re: confiers and willows
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 08:30:41 pm »
thanks hester..............the ground is very wet (high water table) so ive put them in 6 inch pots with good compost at the moment then will plant them in the next few weeks when all this rain clears off!!!!!
 :gloomy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS