Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming in-kid goats?  (Read 1974 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
worming in-kid goats?
« on: January 01, 2014, 12:19:19 pm »
Hi
Is it safe to worm in kid goats?
I have 2 who are 2 month gone, I didn't worm in before putting them in kid as I kept meaning to  send off for fecal testing, time rolled by too quick! One is never seems to put much weight on compared to her sister Nutmeg, though obviously in kid. Last test a year ago she was below threshold, less than Nutmeg, but always looks 'bony'.
Or am I better waiting now till she kids?
I would be using a sheep wormer, probably Rycoben or Combinex.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: worming in-kid goats?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 12:28:23 pm »
You don't need to worm in kid goats, as the pregnancy keeps the worms at bay. It's better to worm them within a week of kidding, and then 3 weeks after that, which should really hit everything they might have been carrying.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 04:47:55 pm »
Unless she's got runny droppings and a "staring" rough coat she won't have worms. Also this time of ear when goats are inside on hay not much chance of picking up worms...

I did a worm count post-kidding last spring and all were well below, so haven't wormed (my goats only, sheep do get done regularly) for 18 months or so...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 02:10:23 am »
She's looks fine apart from looking thin along her back and her hip bones, but she's always looked thin compared with her half sister.
Just wondering, different breeders, Cinn's would have fed high concentrates and Nutmegs would have been more roughage, I wonder if that's anything to do with it, Nutmeg utilises roughage better?
Anyway, thanks for advice, I had been tempted to worm her then remembered the general idea seemed they would be OK till kidding, so couldn't decide.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS