Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pruning willows?  (Read 3371 times)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Pruning willows?
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:03:09 pm »
2011 we planted a small willow plantation from foot long slips. After the first year I cut them back to encourage several stems to grow, which by and large happened (we are growing them to cut for fuel eventually). Some are now about 20 feet tall but still quite thin. Does anyone know if we should prune the tops off or will this just result in lots of thin branches at the top? Thanks.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Pruning willows?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 10:59:00 pm »
I think that would happen, yes. Why not cut a few and see?
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 10:31:55 am »
You would be pollarding them and would probably end up with lots of shoots as you suggest. I would leave them be.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 05:13:56 pm »
Thanks. I think I will persuade OH we should leave them alone.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 05:51:59 pm »
Yes - every time you cut a willow branch it will sprout back. If you want willow for wood - you need to leave it for at least five years. If you want it for weaving then cut it every year.

I have my willow pollarded at three feet so that I don't have to bend down to cut it
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 08:08:29 pm »
Cut them back hard and then any regrowth will be that much thicker. :farmer:

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 10:25:04 pm »
The willow plantation near our previous house was used as a test for a power generating  venture. The first crop was quite spindly but when we left the second crop seemed to be much better. I think they cut the field down after 3 years but were going to leave the second harvest longer.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 05:59:58 pm »
Yes - every time you cut a willow branch it will sprout back. If you want willow for wood - you need to leave it for at least five years. If you want it for weaving then cut it every year.

I have my willow pollarded at three feet so that I don't have to bend down to cut it

When did you first cut them to that height? I'm assuming you left a single whip to grow and then chose the height to pollard. How old where they when you first cut them? I'm planning on doing the same thing. Nice and easy to harvest.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 08:27:16 pm »
I planted the whips which were 1.2m long and then in the first summer I kept plucking the side shoots off and just let the top knot grow then cut the top stems off in the winter. I've been doing that ever since.

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS