Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bok ( Hi!! ) from Croatia  (Read 3213 times)

Tomouse

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Dubrava, Croatia
Bok ( Hi!! ) from Croatia
« on: December 29, 2013, 06:05:52 pm »
Hi there

As I have been 'lurking' around here for a wee while soaking up all the sound advice and info I thought I best introduce myself and my 'clan' :wave:

My name is Tom and I escaped the UK and moved to Croatia just under a year ago with my partner (now pregnant wife  ;D ) Eve, my 2 slightly special rescue dogs ( Sam and Monty ) and a grumpy cat called Bryan.......

We purchased a small farm with a house, several barns, pig sty's (sp!! ), an old cottage and 45 acres of land and woodland with the aim of taking a step back and trying to live for ourselves a little and less for our jobs. I'm a furniture maker and bespoke joiner by trade and shipped my whole workshop of machines over here a few months ago. My lovely wife Eve owned a traditional pub in the UK ( our home for many years ) and is now turning her talented hands to the hospitality side of things out here.

Self sufficiency is a way of life here not a chosen path and everyone is raised with the skills to be able to live from the land..... I'm a country boy born and bred but I have learnt so much in such a small space of time and everyday is a school day.

We plan to get chickens and rabbits in the next few weeks and will be preparing for local rare breed pigs and milking goats in the spring. The field we are using for ourselves has been ploughed ready for planting in spring and now we are just waiting for the snows and minus 20 degree (!!) temperatures of January to pass before a very busy year begins.....

It has been the most incredible first year here and quite a learning curve as you may imagine. The welcome we have received and the kindness of the locals has been very humbling and in a very short space of time we felt that this 'new' home was going to be just perfect for us.

Anyway I can go off on one so I apologise!! I look forward to chatting with you all and sharing stories and skills from way over here

Cheers for now

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Bok ( Hi!! ) from Croatia
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 06:15:21 pm »
Ooh that's sounding very exciting!! Baby and a new life out there. I think we need some photos!!!

Welcome from rainy and windy Aberdeenshire! :wave:  :wave:  :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 06:44:16 pm »
Hi Tom and welcome to the forum  :wave:  Your new life sounds very interesting and I am looking forward to hearing more.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 06:46:32 pm »
Sounds wonderful and very brave.  Hope it all goes well for you out there.  I have a few contacts in the furniture which I am happy to pass on if it may help.  Lots of luck with your wonderful new venture  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 07:00:47 pm »
Hi from Caithness  :wave: Exciting times ahead !  :excited:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 07:22:32 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

I thought I was brave moving from Clackmannanshire to Angus - I would never leave Scotland but I am interested in what you are doing in Croatia.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 07:46:02 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from sunny Shropshire. What a lovely adventure. Looking forward to hearing more adn seeing photos.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 08:23:16 pm »
Hello from Powys.

I did a UN peacekeeping tour in Croatia in 1993. We were stationed in Daruvar - plastic surgery capital of Croatia.…. best pizza and cevapcici EVER!!!!

When I was stationed at Banja Luka, I used to have to inspect the diving school in Brac every month…. what a hardship!!! I remember it was December 5th 2002 and the weather was so good that we abandoned the inspection and went waterski-ing instead!!!

It's a great country. Lovely weather. Lucky you.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:53:25 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Tomouse

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Dubrava, Croatia
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 10:34:55 pm »
Thanks for the very warm welcomes guys, much appreciated here......

It is all very exciting with an equal supply or many many other emotions, quite a rollercoaster the last year has been.

Anyway for those of you who may be interested a few pics. It is ever changing as we renovate, plough, dig, grow and restore various parts but this gives you an idea of our little part of the world.

so..... The first time we saw our new home back in Nov 2011, it was minus 8 degrees that day.....

A pic from the pond across the road in the summer with Sam having one of his many daily cool down swims (it ranges from 25 to just over 40 degrees in the summer)

A view over our fields to the east of the main house......

The back side of our barns and sheds (right side now rebricked, concrete floored and new doors on to form my workshop)

And finally one of the many stunning sunsets out the back....

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes and we look forward to chatting to you all in the future

Cheers

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 08:51:57 am »
It looks a it like a concentration camp in the first pic  ;D  But the others are lovely and I can definitely see the appeal  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Tomouse

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Dubrava, Croatia
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 01:18:50 pm »
It looks a it like a concentration camp in the first pic  ;D  But the others are lovely and I can definitely see the appeal  :thumbsup:

Ha ha, I spose it does a bit  ;D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 01:56:40 pm »
I remember fields full of sunflowers and dead Russian tanks
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 04:30:36 pm »
Hello! Your photos are lovely, thanks for sharing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS