Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hereford & Bridgnorth poultry markets  (Read 6629 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Hereford & Bridgnorth poultry markets
« on: January 04, 2014, 03:04:00 pm »
I know it's not exactly ideal to sell birds at auctions but I have a few spare cocks & a turkey stag I wan't gone ASAP - lovely young birds if anyones interested. But I think sending them to auction might be the easiest option.

So does anyone know when they hold the auctions at Hereford & Bridgnorth? & do they both still take poultry equipment too? As I might have some of that to go as well & do I have to book in or turn up on the day & if so what time? x

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Hereford & Bridgnorth poultry markets
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 03:49:23 pm »
I have only ever been to one poultry auction ever and that was at Hereford

There was a pen of three fine cockerels including a nice looking Marans and Welsummer and the three went for £3  All with a good dinner on each of them.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:26:29 pm by darkbrowneggs »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 04:07:12 pm »
That's quite an assumption, was that based on any experience of cockfighting ?. Could have been he was going to eat them.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:09:12 pm »
Not near you but I went to the poultry market at Swafham and was quite shocked at the way the birds were handled once purchased. We got some strange looks as we gently removed our two purchases from the cage talking to them and stroking them. It seems that apparently rough handling, either by legs or wings is the norm. My purchases were a Swedish Blue drake (well he looks like one) and a silvery grey duck with a couple of feathers sticking out the top of her head  :roflanim: no idea what she is. I paid £8 for the pair but cockerels were not fetching much at all £2 seemed an average.
Heather

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 05:26:03 pm »
Sorry but I have no experience of this personally and as you say it was an assumption on my part. 
I will amend my post as I certainly wouldnt want to offend anyone :(
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 05:27:32 pm »
Hereford Poultry Market is held on the first and third Thursdays of the month, but they don't hold them during January.   

Offgridgreg

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Saddleworth
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 05:41:20 pm »
Yep possibly cock fighting..some people don't give a hoot about animal
Welfare.. Don't go to auctions myself nor would I sell poultry at one,
The one's I have been to  seem to have lots of people buying for a halal slaughter carrying 2 or 3 old stock cocks in each hand up side down flapping they know what's coming!!!!!

I'm afraid if I saw any of my hard work being taken or abused like that the birds would be taken off them regardless who then owned them and be left with some red face's and it wouldn't be mine :rant:

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 06:18:29 pm »
If you are still interested in taking your birds to auction try searching online, I found Swafham auction that way and I think they had online registration for sale birds and information on the auction in general. Only word of caution is be prepared to see them being roughly handled, I found this quite distressing.  :thumbsup:
Heather

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 07:51:52 pm »
Up in Scotland it's the mart workers who are ment to load up the buyers transport boxes. It's been many years since I've seen anyone removing birds by the feet from a sale, birds are supposed to be transported in suitable boxes. Animal welfare should attend and advise any that transgressed, also the mart have a licence to hold such events from defra I believe so instead of telling use all about your grievances tell animal health tell the mart they are the folks that can do something. That's what I have done when I thought something was not right and on every occasion something was done about it.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 08:00:51 pm »
 This was not sharing a grievance merely making an observation based on experience. I don't live in Scotland and merely assumed (maybe wrongly) that this handling was normal practice as this is the only time I have been to an auction. Apologies if I offended you.
Heather

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 08:47:36 pm »
I know they'll be rough handled & have a fair chance of being taken off to slaughter later that day  :-\ & on top of that I probably won't even get the best price - but if they don't sell privately I have to be realistic & either kill & eat them or sell at auction & I'd rather the cash. The annoying thing I find with livestock is the majority seem to turn out male (No offense guys) but when you try & sell there's not enough market for them on their own or if u want to keep a few breeding stock you often find you have very few females to make up trios or pairs & then keep some for yourself. He is listed in the market place for those who are interested x

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 10:41:50 pm »
Hay no offence taken and none ment, I cannot abide poor treatment at such events as it reflects badly on poultry keepers, gives a bad impression and every means possible should be used to stamp it out. I have been to many sales all over Scotland and into northern England and on the whole things are not as bad as they use to be but there is always room for improvement.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 10:51:58 am »
Hereford market is a dumping ground for chickens. Cockerels were, the last time I went all bought by an Indian Gentleman for next to nothing and I doubt he was buying them as pets.

Bit of a waste of life really breeding poultry just to dump any males bred.

And before any one jumps on this statement I breed for table birds. Surely better to dispatch at home than subject the birds to all that extra stress.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:54:21 am by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS