Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from a newbie in Worcester.  (Read 1873 times)

Jennie M

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Worcester
Hello from a newbie in Worcester.
« on: January 03, 2014, 07:44:30 pm »
Hi everyone  :wave:

I'm so keen to hear from everyone who has made the sacrifice to start their own smallholding, has it been worth it? High bits and low bits? Where did you start from, is this more of a hobbie than making any money?

Is there anyone from Worcester out there I could contact, take a look at your smallholding, ask 1001 questions?!

Looking forward to hearing from anyone?  :)

Jennie

mrplattypus

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Tamworth, Staffordshire
    • Facebook
Re: Hello from a newbie in Worcester.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:13:52 pm »
Hi Jennie, i'm also a newbie, i'm only 16 but looking to get a smallholding when i get my own place. I live in the west midlands!

James

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 05:33:52 am »
Hi Jennie and welcome  :wave:  I too am in Worcestershire but just about to be leaving.  I started mine from scratch but I think it is much more cost effective to buy something with buildings and fencing water etc already in situ as capital costs are very high

Are you looking to start your own, or are you researching for other reasons?
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Jennie M

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Worcester
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:17:30 am »
Would really love to start my own, so researching at the moment getting to know as much as I can!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 10:56:48 am »
Hello Jennie

We started almost from scratch (both in terms of the property itself and our knowledge and experience) four nd a half years ago and it's been hard work but very VERY rewarding.

This forum has been phenomenally helpful.

We are in mid-Wales on a north facing hillside on heavy clay soil and we get no direct sunlight for about six weeks around the winter solstice.  :(

Despite that we've had great success with fruit, veg, sheep, chickens and pigs and plan to continue for the long term. I think we are just getting to the point where we know what we want and what the land can sustain and the lessons we learn now are more about the most efficient and effective ways of doing things rather than taking on new ventures.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 11:08:11 am »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave: Our story is on the website - click on Diary to read about our progress (or otherwise)  :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 03:01:55 pm »
Hi Jennie

I'm nr Evesham. We've been here 4 years, its very small scale our smallholding, just 4 acres with a handful of animals and an orchard of plum trees. We make plum wine, jam, chutney and also goats milk soap (Its Baaath Time) and I sell via online shop, farm shops and gift shops too.
you are welcome to email me lisa@itsbaaathtime.com to chat about what we do, the highs and lows but like I say its quite small scale here so might not be the best indicator of how its best done!

Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS