Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Phone line down in the storm  (Read 1944 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Phone line down in the storm
« on: December 24, 2013, 09:52:06 am »
We had a pretty  wild night here last night in Cambs. One of our goat sheds (fortunately unoccupied) was blown off its base and we've got a tree down in the woods. Unfortunately, the tree took down the BT line as it leaves our farm. I drove up to the neighbours to check they were OK and fortunately they don't use the landline - just have mobiles. Tried to call BT about it but they didn't seem to care as there was no number that was actually affected.
Should I just tie the ends up safely and ignore it or persevere with BT and try to get an engineer out?

Ben

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Phone line down in the storm
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:05:57 am »
Happened to one of our neighbours a number of years ago.  After no response, he told them he was going to chop the pole up and use it for fencing.  Engineers were out not long after that.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 10:06:27 am »
BT are IMHO a complete and utter waste of space.

If it's not affecting anyone I'd just tie it back; if someone's phone is out - just report it as a fault on that number but don't hold your breath.

Privatisation of BT (the first before water, gas and electricity etc) was just another example of stealing what we already owned and giving profits to the City rather than provide a service to all. Ever seen BT clear overhanging branches around lines since privatisation? No nor have I.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 10:12:02 am »
when bt came here to check the posts unannounced he told me there was electricity in the lines. whether he just said that as i didnt want him in the field with a newborn calf, or whether there is dont know. just be careful.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 10:20:51 am »
when bt came here to check the posts unannounced he told me there was electricity in the lines. whether he just said that as i didnt want him in the field with a newborn calf, or whether there is dont know. just be careful.

BT Lines have 50v in them or are supposed to. How else would the bell ring lol!

Our line is so bad and so far from the exchange it only measured around 40v

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 11:03:35 am »
A few months back we spotted a BT line that, although wasn't down, had a branch weighing heavily on it. Phoned BT and they were excellent. They rang us back several times with updates on what was going on. They came out and looked at the problem and then a few days later we noticed that they had been and cut back the offending branches and tidied up nicely after themselves.
It isn't often I have much positive to say about them but on this ocassion they were very good  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 02:11:44 pm »
so is it safe to touch if it comes down? or do you get a hefty zap.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS