Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sad end  (Read 2812 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Sad end
« on: December 20, 2013, 09:13:52 pm »
Just come in after watching the fire brigade and my farmer neighbour lifting a Clydesdale horse out of a ditch where he had been stuck up to his withers for most of today. It seemed to take forever he was heavily sedated and in a really awkward place to access, was so sad to see him being dragged up the banking by the legs. His owners are in Australia for a month so the poor couple who were house sitting were distraught.
Between the SSPCA man, the vet  my daughter her friend and myself we made the decision to have him
Pts, he was in a pretty bad way, he was about 20 and in very poor condition with terrible worn teeth, there was just nowhere to put him, he had no shed even if he could have walked and no one to give him the care that he would have needed. The road down to where he lived is pretty much inaccessible to anything other than a 4 wheel drive or a tractor. Even the fire engine could not get down. Feel very sad at his end but I think they made the right choice .
Anne

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Sad end
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 09:18:42 pm »
that is a very sad end :( and distressing to all those involved  :hug: did he have any companions?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 09:21:27 pm »
how horrendous.
awful for everyone.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 11:43:54 pm »
Poor boy, and poor you for having to be part of it. Well done for helping to make a difficult decision and doing the right thing for him. RIP poor Clydie  :hshoe: :horse:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 11:55:29 pm »
Sorry to hear this  Very distressing for everyone and the poor horse.  :bouquet:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 09:06:44 am »
Awww, a very sad end indeed. It must have been a difficult decision but I think you did the right thing.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 09:11:44 am »
 :hug:  what an awful decision to have to make. Bad enough with your own animal. Poor old lad, sounds like the best thing for him  :bouquet:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 09:33:16 am »
It's always tough - and it should be, because it shows you care.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 09:44:36 am »
That is very sad indeed.  Was definitely the right decision to make though.  Very sad that he was allowed to get so poor, and then left for a month, even with care - big responsibilty to put on someone else.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 10:06:47 pm »
So sad but it was the only kind decision.  :bouquet:

Kirsty f

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Newmill, Keith, Banffshire
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 09:28:08 am »
This is a very very sad post, bought a tear to my eye :'(.  A very difficult situation to be in, you made the right decision.  Rest in peace big guy.  :bouquet: :horse:

Kirsty F

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 04:28:46 pm »
its is terrible for everyone, the housesitter and the owners. with xmas so close too.
everytime we try to go away, something silly happens, just sods law  think.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 06:02:33 am »
Very sad but best for the poor horse.  :bouquet:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 08:01:03 am »
It was a terrible shock for all of us when we saw him, we were all saying to each other "why didn't we call the SSPCA ages ago" but in truth where he was kept none of us really got close enough to get a proper look at him, we all worried as his owners were complete novices but gave them as much advice as possible on how he should be cared for.
I don't think that the SSPCA would have done anything anyway as he had access to water and hay, not sure if they would have looked in his mouth to see that his teeth were so bad.

Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS